Saturday, March 3, 2007

Time to be Political

I am not a political creature. Even though I started with a degree in Political Science, I soon found that the activity of politics was totally not to my liking. But recently an event has taken place that is going to push me into the arena.

The State of New Mexico has evidently in its supreme wisdom decided that all airlines coming into and out of the state must have a liquor license in order to sell or serve alcohol on planes. The airlines have responded by saying up yours and aren't serving alcohol on any of these flights. Gloria tells me this decision on the part of the state derives from an incident where a person was drunk coming off an airplane and in an accident killing some one. I haven't verified this.

I am against drunk driving. New Mexico is notorious for its drunk driving problem and the total unwillingness of anyone in authority to really get serious about it. We have at least two to three incidents a year of people driving the wrong way on the interstate and killing people! And this has been going on for as long as we've been in the state (13 years).

And has anything been done to change this. Nope/nada. But let's pass a law or a new regulation affecting thousands of air travelers most of whom aren't even going to be on New Mexico roads. I don't drink that often on planes. But I travel at least 2-3 times a month and really look forward to a drink after a hard business trip.

Stay tuned, because I'm going to research what actually took place to cause this and if it is as I expect some political gesture I may need to become involved. Watch for scenes of de-Intimidator being dragged from the airport for unauthorized political activity

6 comments:

stef said...

now that you have written about it for all time on the internets. You must keep your word. I am looking forward to future installments.

Pulisha said...

Um, so can I tell people that it took the deprivation of alchohol to get my dad interested in politics ;)

Michael Podolny said...

Yes afraid so Pu!

Anonymous said...

I can no longer visit NM. Sorry my man. If I can't get drunk on the flight over, I can't/won't fly there. Just not worth it to be sober for two hours.

alexis said...

I'd rather read about you getting arrested for airplane violence rather than drunken flight behavior, all things considered. Although I'm with lakeview, no alcohol, no albuquerque.

Michael Podolny said...

Lakeview/alexis - What if I have a bottle of wine in an ice bucket waiting for you as soon as you walk through security?