Monday, March 12, 2007

Hiking Season Disaster

Sunday de-Intimidator began training for the big Spring Hiking Season. It was a glorious day in ole ABQ with the temperature in the 60's, clear and dry - perfect hiking weather. As I've been at sea level the last week, I needed to do a test run and find out where I was at conditioning-wise. And the results were excellent. I went on one of my favorite 'conditioning' trails by the house and hand no problems. Heart and lungs not killing me (this is a short, steep trail) and no after effects when I got back.

Ok, we're ready to rock and roll. I've got my training schedule set for the next couple of weekends to really get up to speed and then it;s on to the major events. This season we had mapped out our traditional South Crest Trail Hike (17 miles, 4000 foot gain) and we were going to do the North Crest Trail (12 miles, 4000 foot gain) which is going up the mountain from the other side. And we had a number of other adventureous hikes planned as well.

I'm at home getting pretty excited by all this and preparing to call my partner in crime, Mr. Bill, when he calls me instead. So I relay all my positive upbeat take when he says;

"You may want to hold up on those plans because I tore my Achilles Tendon this week."

It takes a lot to silence d-I but this did it. He was playing indoor soccer and it went pop and that was it. He's out of action for at least 8 weeks.

I checked his contract to see if we had some sort of clause preventing him from doing stuff like riding motorcycles or playing soccer but no. Mr. Bill is 60. He should have known better. I should have traded him this winter. I could have gotten a minor leaguer and probably could have had draft choice as well. I tried to get old partner Mr. Fred to consider commuting down to ABQ from SLC on weekends to fill in because his wife works out of town on weekends. But he wants too much, insisting on wine from the aging bin each meal. Forget it.

Looks like it's going to be a tame spring hiking season.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, you should have unloaded Mr. Bill onto the Bears. We would have given you a slew of non-soccer playing (yet soccer loving) hiking enthusiasts for him.

If you're relying on someone like this, you need to make sure their contract is air-tight. I'm disappointed.

alexis said...

oh no! You can't go out there alone, I forbid it. Don't want you to get eaten by bears or ants or something.

stef said...

hmmm. Can you put out an ad on Craigslist?

Michael Podolny said...

Help, Help Ants!

Pulisha said...

Ants? How long do you have to rest for before you have to start worrying about New Mexican Killer Ants attacking you? ;-)

alexis said...

mock the dangers of empty beer cans and needles at your own peril!