Thursday, March 29, 2007

An Ode to the Simple

To steal from niece Styling w/R-M, I am unabashedly foodie and proud of it. To the rest of humanity that isn't, you have my sympathies. At a minimum it's better than being fanatical Chicago sports fan (blogger name withheld to protect the obsessed).

There is something fantastic about a high quality piece 'o' food done simply. Today I bought a couple of halibut steaks for Wife and I from WholePaychecks - great quality - instant poverty. Simply spiced with a little salt, pepper and savory - browned with a little butter in enameled cast iron pan and finished in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. It was perfection. But it all stemmed from the quality of the original ingredient.

My enthusiasm was no doubt helped by the fact that yesterday was 1,200 calorie day.

5 comments:

stef said...

yum yum yum. I am currently documenting my calorie intake for the week. yeeks...

Anonymous said...

I'm offended. Okay, maybe not. However, the quality of ingredients only matters to a certain extent. Mind you, I love Whole Foods (WFMI) and own their stock, but I don't shop there. Why? Because when you grill something, everything turns out tasting pretty much the same. You have to know how to cook before the quality of the ingredients matter.

alexis said...

hahahah, that's very honest lakeview!

jesus f*cking christ, why is everyone I know counting calories? I fear this is one of those join or be totally driven absolutely insane.

Michael Podolny said...

No Alexis resist the counting! Someone needs to have the resemblance of a normal life (we'll keep the butterspray thing hushed up). Just beware the 40's (as in 40 years old and up).

Lakeview - I couldn't disagree more. Grilling like all cooking techniques has parameters. And the types of ingredients and the quality thereof is just as important as with any other cooking technique.

Anonymous said...

Try routing for the city of Buffalo!