Thursday, March 15, 2007

Signs of Spring

There's only one real sign of spring here at the ole de-Intimidator household. That's when Wife (Mrs. d-I) starts working in the garden.

Watching Wife in action is an awsome experience (unless you get roped into helping with one of her projects). I'm convinced she can out work just about anyone I've met. As we speak she's outside sifting excess mulch out of the garden (leaches out nitrogen when it decomposes). I once saw her spend two straight days in the 90 degree heat sifting rocks out the garden using a kitchen hand strainer! And no I didn't feel guilty, though I did cook dinner for her - but I do that all the time anyway.

I have mused that this incredible work ethic is some how culturally related. Mrs. d-I is a farm girl from Minnesota. We have a neighbor across the street with a similar background and I've seen her work insanely in the heat and cold as well. Plus I have a friend also married a woman from the same part of Minnesota and she works like a nut as well. Maybe it comes from having to keep warm during the winters there.

All I can say is keep your trophy wife, I want a Minnesota farm girl.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Midwest work ethic....we all have it!! Well, not ALL of us, though I did at one point!!

stef said...

Somehow it does not get passed down though. must be a "nurture" rather than "nature" quality...

Pulisha said...

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing, Stef ;)

Michael Podolny said...

Maybe the lazy Jew-boy genes are dominate?