Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Let's Here it for Moderation - sort of

Yesterday was the successful kick off of the Westlake Village Wine and History (and bad jokes) Symposium. After a few months of attempts, we actually had a meeting in a very over priced restaurant in Westlake Village, CA. WV is in what I call "the great white west" of LA. All the wonderful ethnic mix that swirls in LA seems to stop at the hills that separate the Conejo Valley from the San Fernando Valley (see LA map and no I haven't figured out how do do a link yet). The cuisine seems to specialize in the overpriced and under valued.

There were six of us present and we had a really great time. There are four lender/banker types all in their late 30's and early 40's then Frank and I representing the aged group. I was the modicum of discipline today. I had poached eggs and toast with fruit for breakfast, and a simple turkey roll-up with no fatty fillers on a whole wheat flat bread for lunch. While everyone else in the Symposium were scarfing down mego platters of meat, d-I had an appetizer pasta of which he only ate half. Oh forgot about the wine.

We polished off three bottles. We had a CA Pinot Noir to begin with that was ok. But then we had a 99 Chateauneuf du Pape and a 01 Cote Rotie (another excellent Rhone) which were both really good.

And yes we did actually discuss some history (actually more like current events) the effect of tribal organization in Africa on current political structures and events and a ranking of recent holocausts in terms of deaths over the last 100 years (Stalin wins hands down)

6 comments:

alexis said...

wow, sounds lovely! when's the next meeting?

stef said...

That sounds like a blast. Triple fun Imbibing. socializing and urm, historizing? You know what I mean.

Michael Podolny said...

Next one is April 11 Alexis. If you ever come visit Lisa, I will be sure to set one up while you're here. I think you'd really like the group. Same for you Stef.

Anonymous said...

I have learned from my wine experiences that after two bottles, anything would taste good :-)

Pulisha said...

Okay, I had no idea this wine and history clud was held here in CA! Now I feel slightly offended since I have received no invitation to said club. Or maybe its just the preggo hormones talking *sniff* *sniff*

Anonymous said...

Now, now Pu. Are you really going to drive from Redondo Beach to Westlake Village in time to be at the Wine/History event at 5:30? Especially when you are muy pregnento, can only drink three sips of wine, and will probably be falling asleep at 6:30? And who is taking care of the kids during this period? But as I told Alexis, next one is April 11.