Thursday, March 8, 2007

Can You Guess Which Airport I'm In?

Ok it really isn't that hard since I essentially commute from ABQ to and from Chicago and LA. Phoenix - you're right! Once again having had the pleasure of the USAir express special commuter jet with seats so short only half your thigh is supported and with litterally no padding on the seats. Thank goodness it's a short flight.

Got the bad news today that I dropped from Gold to Silver status on USAir's frequent flyer program. This means that fewer automatic upgrades to first on the flights to ABQ where they serve NO ALCOHOL.

The wine choices at the USAir Club are rather limited. Unlike AinA we're not worried about the "wine exploding" in the mouth. We're more hoping that it is just drinkable. How to choose? Simple find out which wine has been open the least long.

"How's this cabernet?"
"That's not too bad. It's only been open for a week."

I am taking donations to remove at least a million people from the 405. For you non-LA initates, all the freeways are designated not by "Interstate so and so" or "I so and so" but as "the so and so" So we have the 405 for I-405 and we have the 110 for the I-110 etc. The 405 at least in my little corner of LA (see discussion on "valleys" as in the San Fernando Valley, the Conejo Valley, etc. - an essential aspect of understanding this sprawling mass of humanity) is the most unpleasant of roads. There doesn't seem to be a time of day when it isn't backed. And certain of its intersections with other "the's" like the 405/101 interchange or the 405/10 interchange can give fear and trepedation to the most stout-hearted of men (or women)

Certainly there is some alien race willing to swope down and do a random sampling of drivers - just so long as it's no one I know.

4 comments:

alexis said...

ah and with the new regulations you can't even bring a bottle of moonshine with you. Luckily you'll never have to see one of these in the airport, I guess:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/148077/peesa_latest_drunk_driving_defense.html

Anonymous said...

Here I thought you flew American all the time. You being downgraded doesn't mean you're going to fly out to Chicago MORE often now does it? Good Lord, I don't think I could take that.

Pulisha said...

Um, as long as I'm not on it at the time, I would totally vote for that ;) I think your main problem, thouh, is your partner's location. Thousand Oaks (and any of those "other" cities, really) is just a pain in the ass to get to. If you have to cross the city center you are just shit out of luck. It takes us a good 1 - 1 1/2 hours to get through city center at any given time--double that if its during rush hour(s). That's why I pay out the wazoo to live inside the city and commute for 15-30 min (to travel 5 miles, no really!). I just can't take that traffic!

Michael Podolny said...

Holy buhjeeber Alexis - talking urinal cakes! I thought I was through with those when I gave up hallucinagins in the 70's (I NEVER INHALED).

Lakeview - I never fly American. It's United East and USAir (formerly America West) West. Glad to see you pay such close attention.

Pu - Unfortunately I have people I visit all the way from Westlake Village to Long Beach. From Pasadena to Santa Monica. From Encino to Ontario. It really wouldn't make any difference where I was, I would have the travel schlepp