Monday, March 19, 2007

The Holy Trinity - Friends, Food, Wine (other alcohol may be substituted)

Everyone has the things in life that make their life worthwhile. For me its good friends, good food and good wine. When you combine these three elements, I find that something magical happens. Over the last two days, I had two of these wonderful experiences.

On Sunday night Wife and I went to our friends K and J. K has a fanscinating background. His father was a renowned hot air balloonist and K was a participant in many of them. He also operated a winery and really knows the ins and outs of wine. Oh did I mention he has a really nice wine collection? (insert lust here) J is a member of the Minnesota Mafia. No more needs to be said. They had us over to their house which has this very quiet, serene ambiance. Dinner was delicious simplicity. Cheese up front, a great steak, salad and pototoes and a variety of desserts from Whole Paycheck, I mean Foods. He featured a fine 2000 Bordeaux, La Louviere.

Tonight I was with Pulisha and Timothy de Buffalo in LA. A wonderful competition has developed between Pu and older sister Motherrocker as to who can find the neatest places to eat. They do all the creative work and all I have to do is show up, enjoy and pick up the tap. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

She selected a French Bistro in Manhattan Beach, Cafe Pierre. Luckily for me the restaurant had paper over the table cloths. So for once I was able to write all the dishes down. I think we found the food very nice, but not spectacular. They had a sale on a 2003 Chateauneuf du Pape which turned out quite good.

Well it's late and I have to crash

7 comments:

alexis said...

sounds lovely!! glad you guys can swing this lifestyle now.

stef said...

oh my god. why does everything have to be a competition when it comes to us girls? Can't we just both enjoy being taken out for a nice dinner?

Michael Podolny said...

Alexis - Yes this can now be enjoyed - as long as it followed by a week of ascetic deprivation.

Stef - Friendly my dear girl, friendly competition! I will rephrase. "My daughters are involved in a wonderful enthousiastic adventure."

Ca March?

Anonymous said...

Was that the sound of the scale dial whirring past 180?

Anonymous said...

PAAF

Pulisha said...

Ha ha, I love how you mention that we actually took the time to write down the food and yet you don't mention what anyone ate! For the record, I had a lovely beef daube (can't beat cheeks!), Dad had a deliciously simple braised rabbit, and Tim went with filet mignon de roquefort (he can never pass up the steak option!). Next adventure: authentic Chinese in the San Gabriel Valley!

Anonymous said...

I was getting really tired by the time I wrote the post and you girls always give me a hard time for writing every dish in my traveloges.