A comment on eating meat: I've been following the blogs of Chris Cosentino and Michael Ruhlman who have been writing a lot about humane meat raising and slaughtering practices. If you're interested go to these two sites. But take this as my two cents.
- Man became what he is because a million or so years ago he started eating meat which allowed brain size to increase.
- Meat is an incredibly inefficient means of converting energy from soil and sun into food for humanity.
- Mankind has a millennia long history of overusing his environments resulting in civilization collapse (see Jarad Diamond's book, "Collapse")
- Most societies that have collapse had perfectly logical reasons (from their perspective) for what they did even though they were ultimately self-destructive
- It's pretty hard for any one person to change the world, but you can change yourself.
- I still like meat, I just don't eat a whole lot
- Wine is vegetarian