Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Have a Dream

Unfortunately mine is lot more pedestrian and self-centered than the great MLK. I dream that all my travel the year round would have the traveler density of mid-January. While the weather may cause a problem here or there, loads on planes, hotels, rental cars, etc. are down 30 to 40%. This means short lines, empty seats next to you, upgrades, low prices on rooms. If things were like this all the time, life would be so good.

I'm happy to say after two days of illness and non-eating, I'm finally somewhat back to my old self today. I'm in LAX waiting to catch a late flight back to Albuquerque.

Answer to the last History Trivia Question (or as we call it in de-I land, our nefarious plot to turn Lakeview into a history geek by exploiting his inherent competitive instincts).

Indeed Lakeview is 2/3rds right. The Sassanids and the Parthians were both legitimate Persian Dynasties. However, I think most historians would exclude the Greeks as they were outside conquerers. I believe that most experts would choose the Achaemenids which included Darius the Great, Cyrus and of course Xerxes. They build the largest Eurasian land empire which stretched from the Indus River in modern Pakistan to Egypt up to Turkey and north of current Iran. Alexander the Great ultimately conquered Achaemenid Persia and one of his generals became the founder of the Greek Dynasties there.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Soooo close! The Greeks always screw me on history questions.

Ok, I'm just kidding.....it's usually the Egyptians.

alexis said...

ooo upgrades! But are the flights any less smooth because of the season? I thought there was more turbulance

stef said...

What about delays do to weather? You are lucky you have been traveling westerly lately!

Michael Podolny said...

After yet another near empty plane on the way home last night, I will say absolutely yes, I will put up with the winter weather.

Actually the delays are every bit as bad or worse in the spring and summer with all the thunderstorms and then it's harder to re-book because of all the travelers.