Thursday, January 31, 2008

Curse You John Edwards

As Motherrocker commented, the minute I go to all the work about posting how this could be the most interesting presidential convention in decades, Mr. Edwards drops out just before Super Tuesday to almost ensure that someone is going to have the nomination locked up on the Democratic side before the convention. Darn him. One has to hope that Huckabee sticks it out and we at least have some fun on the Republican side.

A comment on eating meat: I've been following the blogs of Chris Cosentino and Michael Ruhlman who have been writing a lot about humane meat raising and slaughtering practices. If you're interested go to these two sites. But take this as my two cents.

  • Man became what he is because a million or so years ago he started eating meat which allowed brain size to increase.
  • Meat is an incredibly inefficient means of converting energy from soil and sun into food for humanity.
  • Mankind has a millennia long history of overusing his environments resulting in civilization collapse (see Jarad Diamond's book, "Collapse")
  • Most societies that have collapse had perfectly logical reasons (from their perspective) for what they did even though they were ultimately self-destructive
  • It's pretty hard for any one person to change the world, but you can change yourself.
  • I still like meat, I just don't eat a whole lot
  • Wine is vegetarian

4 comments:

alexis said...

well, it was fun while it lasted.

I have been blessed with a taste NOT for meat. The eating of and its consequences on the earth are blissfully not part of my moral equation.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that they spoiled the party, de-I. This is why I plan to continue closing my eyes, covering my ears, and humming loudly until November 08 (perhaps later if someone contests the votes).

stef said...

I don't think wine is technically vegetarian.

http://jivdaya.org/is_wine_vegetarian.htm

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Cheap wine qualifies though! Yay me!!

Of course, I'm still going to eat meat. I don't think I can prevent the collapse of our society. Hell, if it didn't happen under Bush, I'm not sure anyone can cause it!