Saturday, August 4, 2007

In the Zone - A Record Breaking Hike!

Fortify by the cruel ordeal that Gaius Derf put me through last week on the Lake Blanche Trail in Salt Lake City, I decided that I would give my old friend, the South Crest Trail a go today. I wrote about this in early June when I set my last record of 2 hours and 5 minutes.

I got going early. The mountain was shrouded in clouds. This can be a good thing because it keeps the temperature and the dehydration level down. On the other had when the mountain is cloud covered it can also be freakin' cold. Once I got started, I notice that I that I was feeling really good and maintaining a very good pace. So I decided to make this a go for time hike. The first section which is a steep climb I was totally on top of. The next section which is longer but less steep, I felt less sharp. But the last section which is also steep, I was totally focused and able to push. The result was 1 hour and 52 minutes for the 5.5 mile 2000 foot climb hike.

I lucked out with the clouds as they were burning off progressively just as I was reaching them as you can see below.

Normal View at the End (taken on June 2nd)

View Today as I Arrived

Looking at Albuquerque from just about Cloud Level

Usually my hike down is just an exercise in pain and avoiding killing myself as my legs are tired, but I was totally in the zone today so even going down was really good.

No comments: