Thursday, August 23, 2007

High Points from This Week's Trip to Chicago

Business

Another very positive trip. Ricardo has a real nose for networking and is taking a great attitude toward the company, giving me a lot of positive challenges. Now all I have to do is make sure that he make money (arrrrggggg another mouth to feed). Our latest wine tasting networking event was the best to date and we made great progress on the most important projects we've been working on with our two clients.

IF YOU SEE THIS MAN, PROTECT YOUR LIVER
A very, very poor photo of the infamous Ricardo (he's really very dashing)

Dining

We had our last lunch of the trip at Cafe 28, a Cuban restaurant. I was first introduced to this restaurant years ago by my daughters Alexis in Amsterdam and MotherRocker who lived very close by. For some reason or other I have never gotten around to trying the famous Sandwich Cubano which has pork, ham, cheese and Dijon mustard on French Bread and pressed like a Paninni. Having tried it I can see why it was so popular.

My Sandwich Cubano
I only thought of taking the picture when I was a third done.
Family

MotherRocker, having shaken me down for a bread book, she wanted really wanted me to come to the household since I was in Chicago. Figuring that a dinner without Ricardo would be a major boost to my health, I agreed. In all seriousness to have your children want you to visit them even when your there all the time is a blessing that I do not take for granted. We ordered take out sushi from the place on the corner. Granddaughter Miss Dukes decided that this was something that she wanted to try. Low and behold she tries the good stuff (hamachi and salmon) and likes it! Hope you get a good job or marry well Miss Dukes.

Miss Dukes Imitating a Shark and Circling MotherRocker's Salmon Sushi

A Successful Predator Enjoys the Fruits of Her Kill
Airport Excitement

A massive thunderstorm swept through Chicagoland while I was at the airport and they ordered everyone out of the terminal and down into the tunnel in between the B and C concourse. It was impressive to see this storm swoop in and impressive that they got everyone out of the terminal in 9 minutes. We were only down there for about 15 minutes when they let us back up. Not sure when I will finally get home tonight.

As Good a Picture as I Could Get of the Masses in the Tunnel

5 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Holy Shit!! I was on the phone with DeMarco when it came through my 'hood. It was unbelievable. It was a literally like a typhoon. Branches and limbs flying all over the place....wow, it was spectacular. I actually moved away from the window because it was getting so intense.

Thank goodness they didn't keep you down in the tunnel too long. Did you see Ricardo there? He was headed to Colorado.

alexis said...

wow, what a lovely post! The pictures are so nice too. Maybe I should get a camera one of these days that I would actually tolerate carrying around...

The storm sounds super scary though. I'm so glad everythings going well for you all!

stef said...

The pic of everyone down in the tunnel has sort of a biblical end of days feel to me. Walk towards the light! Only 1 bag and one personal item per person!

Michael Podolny said...

Lakeview - It was incredible here too. It swooped in like a horizontal sheet of water. If Ricardo got out, I would have been shocked but maybe with more flights going to Denver he lucked out.

Alexis - Actually everybody was incredibly calm. It was almost surreal. It's hard to believe I'm getting these photo's off of my PDA with the help of touch up from my MAC iPhoto program.

Stef - Ha, ha, ha - I love that! Don't forget you can only bring a quart sized bag of fluids none more than 3.5 ounces.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Stef, that was hilarious.