Sunday, April 19, 2009

Bwahahaha - Victory is Mine!

YES!

After months of blotting and planning, I pulled off what will go down in the annals as one of the best sneak attacks in our family's history. The gauntlet had been thrown down over a year ago when the nefarious Mrs. de-I in conjunction with her brood of nefarious off spring had pulled off the incredible surprise 60th birthday event for me. The surprise had been complete and total. As in Pearl Harbor, I was not about to let this sneak attack of love go without vengeance being fulfilled.

Fortunately eldest daughter, Motherrocker, is a complete turncoat. As willingly as she aided her mother in the birthday surprise sneak attack on me, so she was willing to act as chief co-conspirator for mine on Mrs. de-I. We were not about to do the same type of event. That would have been too transparent. In this case we were going to get everyone to her in Albuquerque. Fortunately we had one of the children, Pulisha, and a staging house in Albuquerque.

Then with only a month and a half to go Pu moved to Florida. Agh what to do? So we rearranged our ideas of how to pull of the surprise. We now had all the children and grandchildren flying in plus her brother and sister-in-law. And of course there was the home remodel which was taking longer than expected. Would it be done? And when it was done Wife decides that she's going to repaint the rest of the house.

Then with just a week to go, Motherrocker's daughter and husband came down with the flu! Agh they might not be able to come at all! Phone calls and text messages are flying as MR is making last minute arrangements. One of our plans was to get AinA who was arriving from Amsterdam late in the evening snuck into the house. But Wife on the Thursday everyone arrives starts painting both the quest bedrooms! So even on Thursday night, I'm making these excuses to wife while were eating dinner so I can get AinA and MR to change their plans for the evening and have A stay with MR.

On Friday Wife is merrily painting away when the door bell rings. Off she goes to answer it to see two of her three kids. I was not able to see her face but according to MR, surprise was complete. When her brother arrived she the shock was repreated. By this time of course she knows something is up so the arrival of Pulisha and Co. Saturday morning and the arrival of 8 of our friends at 1 PM was not totally a surprise.

We partied until the early evening. The wine flowed. Wife got to show off the new addition to all our friends. Much food was cooked and consumed. Sorry no pictures. I was so busy trying to prepare things. Sister in law, In the Sticks, was taking lots of picture and hopefully will post some.

It was grand.

8 comments:

terri said...

So many elements working against you and you still pulled it off. Way to GO!

My hubby, well-meaning as he may be, is TERRIBLE about keeping secrets. He has hosted two surprise birthday parties for me, neither of which were a surprise in the least.

WeaselMomma said...

Happy Birthday Mrs. De-I

Mike said...

Wow. That was a LOT of coordination! I'm glad you pulled it off! Tell the Mrs. "Happy 29th birthday" for me!

Anonymous said...

Well done, De-I! You faced great adversity, and conquered all. And many birthday wishes to Aunt de-I. Wish I was there.

Erin said...

Congrats on pulling it off! I'm sorry our clan couldn't make it for the surprise. Wish Aunt Gloria a happy birthday for me!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Whoop whoop!!! Nicely done! Overcoming the Pu and MR issues made it all the tougher. What happens at 61 now??

Michael Podolny said...

LCJ - After these big surprise parties the next birthday is traditionally a tacky card and a box of Popeye's Fried Chicken.

Christopher Gabriel said...

I actually needed to read the post...re-read it...and re-read it one more time to fully comprehend the complexity of the coordination for The Event.

Do you know Bill Belichick?

The various players including double-agents, security personnel, spotters with high-powered glasses, the duplicitous positioning of selected details - sounds like Congress.

Glad it all went well.