Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Potatoes and Leeks

Short of writing material for the blog. Drop back 10 yards and punt to the cooking post. GO TEAM!

While shopping this weekend at the local plain ole market, I found some fabulous leeks. For those who don't know, a leek is member of the onion family. Most leeks in the us have small white parts and lots of fibrous not so good green. But these babies were over 60% white. Real beauties.

So I decided to make a French Country Classic - Potato and Leek Soup.

This recipe is so easy even certain readers from St. Louis who don't cook can do it. And it's tasty and low calorie

Two of three main ingredients - Leeks and Potatoes

Cut the tough green ends off and the root ends.
Then cut into three pieces, cut those in half, and cut crosswise into rough chunkc
Leeks need to be cleaned well as there can be sand in between the layers.
Put them into a bowl with water. Roughly rub them then lift them out into a colander. Do this a few times until the water in the bowl no longer has any sand in the bottom

Peel and roughly cut the potatoes

Put into a pot and cover with some broth, the third main ingredient.

Bring to a boil, add salt and pepper, cook until potatoes and leeks are soft maybe 30-40 minutes.

Take out your trusty immersion blender and puree. If you don't have that use a potato masher for a more rustic version.

Serve with some good bread

9 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

I've seen this soup before. Only thing different is cheese. Well that and polite party dinner guests. http://worldofweasels.blogspot.com/2009/01/soup.html

stef said...

Wow- those were some gorgeous leeks. I can't believe you did no sauteeing first.

Anonymous said...

We eat leeks quite often because my husband loves them (they're a proper English vegetable). They're a pain to clean, but once that's done they're very easy to prepare. That soup looks good!

Christopher Gabriel said...

I don't say this often, but those were sexy leeks. Were they charismatic as well? I'm going to say, yes. Call it a hunch.

What I find ruins a potato and leek soup - an enigmatic leek. They shouldn't even allow them in the store.

Finally, what is it about some people in St. Louis - I know someone there who also doesn't like to cook. Frowns upon it. Wouldn't it be funny if it was the same person?

Michael Podolny said...

CG - right you are. These leeks were so charismatic that the day after I made the soup Wife went out and bought leek plants for the garden!

I don't know if it is all males in St. Louis or just some subset that naps in trucks, likes chicken wings and can not beat a girl in HORSE that don't cook.

terri said...

Your soup sounds delicious and I love the fact that it has few ingredients.

However, I do feel the need to stick up for my buddy, Mike. He has many fine qualities. Besides, he finds the best flatulence videos on the web! He gives the gift of laughter.

Anonymous said...

I've never knowingly had a leek. I may have to try the recipe, although I wouldn't be able to tell Mike about it before he eats it. He despises anything having to do with onions.

Pulisha said...

Yum!!

Mike said...

Hahah... I feel honored to have been mentioned in your blog.

Believe it or not, I actually knew what a leek was! *awaits gasps of surprise and acknowledgement of approval*

I worked at a Wal-Mart supercenter for six years prior to my IT career. Someone brought them through and I had to ask them what they were because I had no idea what to ring them up under. My horizons were broadened that day.

I was feeling pretty good about myeslf until you mentioned an "immersion blender." Now I have to go and figure out what THAT is...

It never ends with you...