Saturday, April 4, 2009

Inspiration

I got my inspiration for dinner tonight from my daughter, Pulisha, and a recipe she got from a blogger named Stacey Snacks. Pu is excellent at finding recipes that can be done quickly as she works and has a big family but still loves to eat well. The recipe they were writing about used roasted cherry tomatoes as a sauce for pasta.

Following their discussion of the advantages of roasting veggies (easy, brings out lots of flavor), I was inspired to make a pasta based on a roasted sauce as well. As with my inspirations, I had had a very busy day (hiking, getting house ready for moving into the new add-on, shopping for new tv's) so I wanted to do something quick.

My idea was to make a roasted salmon, asparagus and garlic pasta.

In concept this is a very easy dish. I roasted the salmon, asparagus, and garlic together while I cooked the pasta. My sauce used the roasted garlic with some of the pasta water, chicken stock base and wine. I finished the pasta with parsley, oregano from our garden (doing well in the early spring) and some fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

Pictures:
I peel the lower part of the asparagus which can be tough and fiberous
The Salmon, Aspargus, and Garlic Ready for Roasting
The garlic is in large pieces. I put extra olive oil on everything because I used it in my sauce.

The Wine, Chicken Stock Base, and Fresh Herbs

Salmon, Asparagus, and Garlic Post-Roasting (425 degrees for 15 minutes)

The Pasta Water with Chicken Stock Base, Wine and Garlic
I blended this together with my immersion blender. My daughter Motherrocker pushed me to get this tool. They're not expensive at all, very versitile and much easier to clean than regular blenders or food processors.

The Finishing Touches
My asparagus and salmon cut up with my chopped herbs

The Finished Dish

6 comments:

Mike said...

Looks good. I'd imagine it would taste good to some as well. I, however, do not believe that salmon or any other type of seafood can be defined as "edible." I've never tried asparagus... I've just heard it's supposed to make your pee smell funny. That's the extent of my knowledge of the vegetable.

WeaselMomma said...

Very creative, I hope it was tasty.

terri said...

You've combined some of my favorite things into a single dish - pasta, garlic, salmon & asparagus. Sounds delicious! I wish I were good at "winging it" in my cooking and coming up with something tasty.

Bernice said...

I really love the step by step directions. That meal is one I would try.

Anonymous said...

I second the endorsement of the immersion blender. Now that I have one I'm much more willing to make cream soups. It's so much easier now that I don't have to transfer the soup into batches in the blender.

Anonymous said...

That looks VERY good. Salmon is one of my favorite foods, and I LOVE pasta. Asparagus is good too. I'll get Mike to try it one of these days. I also admire your skill for creating your own recipes. Hopefully I'll be able to do that someday, because I love to cook and try new things.