Monday, December 1, 2008

Euro-Meal Special

Thanksgiving for most of those that I cook for is first and foremost a traditional meal. This means there is not a whole lot of room for creative cookery. Well I didn't tromp all the way up to Salt Lake City to just make the same old, same old for Gaius Derf and Agent W. The meal that I made for them on Friday was actually going to a brunch on Thursday but we rescheduled it when we realized that we would have had way too much for the day.

The Menu

Brussels Sprout Salad
Open Face Prosciutto and Cheese Sandwiches with Pineapple Salad
Ramekins of Creamed Spinach with Baked Eggs
Cheese

The salad - Shredded Brussels sprouts dressed with toasted walnuts, lemon juice, olive oil, and pecarino romano cheese.

The sandwiches - I fried the prosciutto until it was crisp (think of it as super bacon), toasted one side of the bread in the oil from the prosciutto, topped it with gruyere cheese and put under the broiler. The pineapple with some raisins had been marinating overnight in a little rum and honey.

The ramekins - I made a killer creamed spinach from scratch from a Julia Child recipe, put it in the ramekins, put an egg in each one, covered with parmesean cheese and baked.

Cheese - camambert and a kick but gorganzola dulce (young smooth - sooo good)

Pictures (thanks to Agent W):


Gaius Derf and Wife watching me cut Brussels Sprouts into fine shreds - a thankless task
Just what the heck are they so smiley about anyway?


My open face sandwiches prior to toasting


The still giddy looking Derf and Wife with salads
What do they know that I don't?


Finished sandwiches with pineapple salad


My ramekins just out of the oven


Whatever Gaius Derf and Wife were into evidently I got some too!

8 comments:

terri said...

Wow! Yum! You need to have your own cooking show.

alexis said...

awww, everyone looks VERY happy - and boozed up. Nice beard, GW!

Anonymous said...

The spinach and egg combo sounds really interesting. I made JC's creamed spinach a few weeks ago (recipe from Mastering the Art of French cooking) but it ended up tasting mainly of flour. Any idea what I did wrong?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You look like the Cheshire cat in that last photo! Ha-ha-ha-ha.

Bernice said...

If I were there, I would be smiling because I was watching the cooking, not doing it myself. I enjoy the details of the recipe however.

Michael Podolny said...

SRM - I was actually making it from memory and totally forgot about the flour component. I would say just skip the flour. It seemed great to me without it.

stef said...

Looks delicious. Think you were wise to wait until friday on that one!

Beth said...

OH YUMM!!!!!

I'm with Bernice-- I'd be smiling because YOU are cooking! :-)