Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Gratitude Special

A number of the bloggers that I follow have been in one form or another been immersed in the practice giving thanks (gratitude) for what they have. In my opinion this is a very high act for any of us to be doing. I started incorporating giving thanks as a part of my spiritual practices in the months just before the organ donation operation. I now make this a part of my daily activities.

While I often do it after I meditate or while walking early in the morning, the most common time is when I step into the shower in the morning.

I start because I'm reminded of the incredible miracle of running water, clean water, warm water whenever I want it and being thankful for living in a time and place where this is a regular part of my life and how incredibly lucky I am to have this. Then I will go on mentally down a checklist sort of as follows.

I am grateful and give thanks for:

  • Having a warm, dry secure place to live in
  • Warm cloths, a car, nice furniture, a great house
  • Living in a country where I don't have to worry about someone coming and destroying what I have
  • Living in a time and a place and a country where my everyday lifestyle would be considered luxury in most of history and even in most of the world now
  • Having not only enough to eat but haven been given the ability and means to enjoy the pleasuer of eating and drinking
  • Being able to live in a place of spectacular beauty
  • Having a wonderful relationship with my wife and children when at many times in my life it seemed that would never happen
  • Being given the numerous challenges in life that somehow or another I have managed to get beyond and that have made me a significantly better person
  • Becoming awakened spiritually and having that become the center of my life
  • Being given the opportunity to donate my kidney to my sister with all the trials and triumphs that that entailed and what it taught me about myself
  • Having been able to reconnect with my siblings and my father
  • Work that I truly love and where I feel I am doing good
  • Work where I can also excel and serve both my ego and my monetary ambitions
  • Partners who are great people and a pleasure to be with and who share the same values I do
  • Experiences that are allowing me to make the best of the current environment

And so on. I try to really feel the feeling of gratitude as I do this and keep that feeling with me throughout the day.

On this Christmas when I have my girls, their men and their children all here, I hope you are having a wonderful holiday and that your life will be filled with gratitude.

5 comments:

terri said...

What a wonderful list! I too find myself contemplating things while in the shower. (Might be for me that's the only place without distraction most of the time!)

It's very encouraging to read that you didn't always feel your family relationships were or would be wonderful, but that you now feel they are. That's one of my big struggles at times.

And the spiritual awakening... once it starts it never really stops, does it?

Hope your holidays are spectacular Michael!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's good stuff. I do love running, clean,warm water. That's definitely high on my list of things I'm grateful for.

Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

That is a long and great list, Merry Christmas, Uncle de-Ie

Unknown said...

Yes, we are all blessed with many things! Freedom, spouses & family, food & water....spirituality to guide us.

Wishing you a great holiday season and continued blessings in the new year ahead!

We, too are counting our blessings...even though weather conditions in the Seattle & Portland,OR areas have physically canceled our being with the family this holiday .... the love we all feel for each other has warmed our Christmas!

Wishing all your family safe travels too!

G. Derf & Agent W

alexis said...

that's a good practice, I may try to start that too. And I do love showers.