Thursday, December 11, 2008

Computers - AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH

As I mentioned over Thanksgiving that I had to get a new computer to keep the ole consulting business humming. I was pretty proud of myself in getting everything moved over without any outside help.

But I should have known that there would be collateral damage because this is the computer world where nothing is really plug and play. First I had an issue with a storage device that I had bought just weeks before the new computer from the Apple store. Seems that the new Mac's firewire connection is a different shape. Why they should change it, I don't know. That means I have to use a USB connection. But there is some issue with power because when I use the USB connection the device keeps going on and off. That's frustrating but not I can deal with it.

I also found that they have changed the connection apparatus for hooking up an outside monitor or connecting to a projector and the one from the previous MacBook Pro will no longer work. So I'm going to have to lay out money for that.

Then there was a problem with the Syncing software for my phone. It required that I reregister the software and I can't find the old product code. So I bought the upgrade and installed that. Great. Except the new upgrade doesn't work with MS Office for Mac 2004. They didn't tell me that on the site selling the upgrade. As it turns out the Entourage program (Outlook for Mac) that I have has been on the fritz and I need to do the upgrade anyway. I just didn't appreciate the two hours I lost this afternoon trying to get this all figured out.

5 comments:

alexis said...

wow, they do NOT make it easy to switch from PC to MAC do they?

Anonymous said...

Ugh. And there's probably more to come. There always is...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

What a pain in the butt. I hate computer issues.

terri said...

The problem is that we can't live without our computers any more and the powers that be know it! That's why they can keep socking you for more money.

WeaselMomma said...

Thanks for stopping by World of Weasels. I hope you had a good laugh and am glad Terri sent you. Come back again soon.