Monday, December 29, 2008

HOLIDAY COOKING FINALE

On our last day together, I asked a big favor of my two son-in-laws - that they take care of the kids and give me their wives for a day so I could have a Dad and Daughter cooking day. Cooking with my girls is one of my greatest pleasures and something, with them grown, out on their own, with families, is something that very rarely happens.

Our big project was making our own ravioli from scratch. Here is our pictorial

Motherrocker Prepares for Battle
All ventures work better with a bit of lubrication

Team Pulisha Preps
Pu and daughter C at work on mushrooms


Preparing Lots of Garlic

Sauteeing Leeks and Garlic for the Cheese Filling

C - Expert at Preparing Mushrooms for Filling

...And getting her just rewards

Brussel Sprouts that will be cooked with Pancetta

Pu doing damage to a big chunk of pancetta

That happy smile is because C knows what the end result of rendering duck skin is

Making the Ravioli

MR starts the dough
Kneading
Extruding the dough and figuring what to do next
(Did I mention that we've never done this before?)
Pu and MR in heavy duty consultation on just how the heck one fills and closes these things anyway


Post consultation - Mass production begins

Crimping the ends
(Notice that apron? It was made for me by MR - When she was in Middle School!)

My Duck Braised with Olives - A Spanish Dish that is our Main Course

That Grin?
C after chowing down on the fried duck skin cracklings

9 comments:

Beth said...

If I was your neighbor, I would be CONSTANTLY inviting myself for dinner! Your blog always makes me drool.

terri said...

I had dinner... but I'm hungry again!

How long did it take to make all of this? I bet the time flew by, didn't it?

Michael Podolny said...

It really didn't take that long with all of us working together. The duck had been made the day before. We started the ravioli project at 1 PM and were at Pu's house by 4:30.

It was great fun.

Xani said...

how wonderful! I'm sure everything was delicious and it looks like you all had so much fun! Happy New Year!

stef said...

I wish I had some of those cracklings right now. mmmmmmmm

Unknown said...

Oh! What a family you've got there!!!
Yummy!!!! Looks great!!!

Agent W

WeaselMomma said...

MMMMMM, I want some. Might try my own ravioli today. Maybe it will work with the cake recipe for desert or the family will have to order a pizza.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That looks awesome! What a fun day for you guys. I do have to take issue with MR's choice of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale though. Blech.

Those ravioli machines come in handy I guess huh? Can't imagine making them myself though.

alexis said...

the ravioli were fantastic - thanks for making it!!