Tuesday, December 9, 2008

New Bar Set for Travel Blunders

With all the travel that I do, at least once every six months I do something stupid that ends up costing me money. In the past this has included buying non-refundable tickets for jobs that were not quite firmed up that ended up being canceled, making non-refundable reservations for the wrong date, making non-refundable reservations for flights leaving at PM when I thought I was doing AM.

I have now raised the bar to a whole new level that has me wondering what can possibly outdo it.

Yesterday I was scheduled to give a talk to a group of asset managers on the topic of business succession - a good opportunity for me to troll for clients and referrals to clients. Got up in the morning to the airport, fly to Phoenix. I'm there in plenty of time. I go to the USAir Club and do some work. Grab a bite to eat and then head to grab a cab to go to my meeting. I give the name of the hotel and convention center where the meeting is to the cab driver. He looks at me strangely and say, "I don't know of anything named that in Phoenix - Las Vegas yes but not Phoenix."

I suddenly have a sinking feeling. I call my contact. "Ya were at the Mandalay Bay in LAS VEGAS." My talk is schedule a hour and a half from now. After thinking I would have to totally cancel, my contact calls me up and let's me know that there are almost hourly flights from Phoenix to Las Vegas. I'm worried about getting back to Albuquerque that night. I get on line and sure enough I can catch a flight in an hour and catch another flight home from Las Vegas that evening. I book the flight. Go to the kiosk and pick up my boarding pass and I'm at my place to give my talk just an hour and half late. My contact had moved the schedule around to accommodate me.

Other than eating a bit of crow for the 'planning' professional screwing up the planning and being out of pocket many hundreds of dollars to book the extra flights, the presentation went quite well.

Now what can I think of to top this?

9 comments:

alexis said...

wow, thank god you got there! I can only imagine the pit-in-your-stomach feeling when you realized you were in the wrong state!

stef said...

LOL. too funny. Sounds like YOU need an executive assistant.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Thank goodness for your blog, where your disaster turns into our amusement. I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as it could have.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear everything worked out okay, but man, that's funny.!!

:)

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

You're kidding me right? The guy says "Mandalay Bay" and you think Phoenix?? C'mon!! Seemingly every major fight is held there and it's, in my opinion, the best hotel on the strip!! Too funny. Way to problem solve though and get it all done. We don't panic in The Podolny Group!

Michael Podolny said...

Lakeview - When my sponsor said Mandalay Bay originally, I said to myself "I didn't know the Mandalay Bay had a place in Phoenix?" But of course I didn't think to dig any deeper.

terri said...

The whole situation would have paralyzed me and I would have burst into tears. I'm impressed that you managed to make it all work out after all!

Michael Podolny said...

Terri dear, what in the world makes you think that that wasn't exactly what I did? I'm a guy. I can't admit to that kind of stuff :)

Pulisha said...

Wow, I have to say that is definately something I have not experienced in all my travel disasters! ;)