Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Virgin No Longer

No of course not - I'm a grandfather already. I'm talking about The Souffle.

It was a busy weekend. On Saturday, I went for a quick hike then grabbed granddaughter C and we went a did some shopping at Whole Paychecks. In the afternoon,I did work work after which I made a frittata with the two granddaughters. I'm going to be gone on Valentine's Day, so I told Mrs. de-I that I wanted to cook a nice meal for her and Pulisha this weekend. And for some reason, I decided that making a dessert souffle was a good idea. I of course have never made a souffle.

For those two people who read this who are not cooks, a souffle is a dish where one folds a filling into whipped egg whites and cook it which results in a dish that puffs up over the top of its dish in a spectacular fashion. I made an orange souffle from Julia Child's, Mastering the Art of French Cooking (my absolutely favoritist cookbook). Reports from the biased family audience were that it was good. I'm sorry that because of all the hub-bub of two families under one roof that I don't have a picture. Personally I think it didn't get quite the lift a souffle should have and I think it was a tad overcooked.

Hats off to Tim de Buffalo who along with Granddaughter C prep cooked. He did a fine job with some pan0-roasted potatoes while Miss C was a trooper being willing to squish her finger into the roast while I was trussing it.

3 comments:

alexis said...

congrats! I made souffées in college back before I realized they were difficult. Sort of like original sin, now I'm afraid to make them. 'course I also live in combi-oven land...

stef said...

You know, I don't think I've ever even eaten souffle?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Thanks for the explanation of the souffle. I didn't really know that's what is involved. Interesting. You wonder how the person who first made one came up with the idea. Weird.

Sounds like it was a hit though!