Monday, February 18, 2008

Shorts from CT

My quick visit with O-I is finishing up with my having to go to Hartford Hospital to get some tests done and hopefully get a firmer grasp on the dissection in May.

de-I Walks Dog! - Yes yours truly the dog-o-phobic actually took O-I's new guide dog, Unique (her real name) for a walk, not once, but twice while I was here. Unique is quite a different character than the dearly departed Uzef (aka Wonder Dog). Smaller and sleeker in my opinion she looks like a cheetah. And acts like one too the way she prances around. Whereas Uzef was very protective of DOD (Dear Old Dad) or as we sometimes call him SOB (Sweet Old Bill), Unique is a bit of a trollop and will go to anyone who will promise her some attention.

Good Chinese Food - I really hate how so much of what passes for Chinese food consists of over sweetened glop. We've been going to a place in Storrs, CT for years and years that O-I had always thought was better than most. In recent visits I had noticed that there were in fact two menus. One was the typical that is found in most Chinese restaurants. The other had dishes that were quite different. We order completely from that menu and found Chinese of a different order. Nothing was sweet and the tastes were all quite distinct. We had a seaweed and a jellyfish appetizer. The first was slightly vinegary and the second was salty. Then we had a seafood hot and sour soup, followed by fatty pork with fried tofu and salt and pepper chicken.

Good Weather Luck - CT has been bombarded with snow and ice this winter. I arrived on Saturday to clear skies and warming temperatures. It has been in the 50's today with some rain and all the ice is gone. Since I'm on to Chicago tomorrow and the forecast is for sub-freezing temperatures, I suppose I should be thankful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you had time for a visit with your father and the experience of walking his "cheetah"!!

How did the tests go for you at Hartford Hospital?

Enjoy your next family meeting at son-in-law's birthday in Chicago.
Safe travels, dear friend!!!

G. Derf & Agent W

alexis said...

so nice you are able to visit all of your family in this way, even to be there for your daughter's birthday!

stef said...

Hee hee. The thought of you walking a dog makes me giggle.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

The dog's a trollop! Ha! That was funny.

Sub-freezing is generous. It was 8 this morning with minus something wind chills. It's going to be worse tomorrow. This sucks.

Anonymous said...

A picture of you walking that dog would just be classic.! I hope your trip is going well.

Anonymous said...

As to the weather temps, I have to agree with lakeview coffee joe- we've had the same temps in MN, and all morning we've been threatned with the fact that it is going to be dangerously cold the rest of the week. This could cause problems with orchestra on Thursday..

Erin said...

So glad you are able to hang out with Grandpa (or SOB as we like to call him) and Unique. Too bad she's such a tramp! I hope to get to meet her soon...

And I completely agree about the Chinese food in this country - boring and not that good! As typical MOTs we went for Chinese food on Christmas Day (Eve? can't remember) and it was the best I've had in years - Hong Kong style, and we were the only white people in the joint!