Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Okra - Why Not?

There is an entire universeof gastronomes who have put okra on their "I will never touch that stuff" list. Personally, I think it is because they've only had it cooked one way which is cut up and stewed which results in a goopy, gelatinous mass whose texture many abhor. However there is another preparation method (other than deep fried). The key is to saute the okra first then add any liquids. One of the great renditions of this is in Indian cuisine with an okra curry. There is an Indian restaurant near where I stay in Ontario, CA. Many don't have this dish on the menu but this one did and it was excellent. No sliminess. Very distinct individual okra pieces with a great flavor but almost dry rather than a very wet sauce. I think any okra objector would (who liked Indian food) would like this.

3 comments:

alexis said...

sounds good, I admit

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I haven't avoided it, but I've never had it.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, next time I see okra curry I might give it a try.