Thursday, November 29, 2007

D-Day – The First Evening

We got down to Fisherman’s Wharf and decided it was way too touristy to have lunch there. So we grabbed a crab sandwich to tie us over which we split then caught the ferry to Sausalito. As much as I dislike the ocean (up and down – side to side – retch, retch – up and down, etc., etc.) I love smoother bodies of water. We had a nice seat up front in the ferry that had very few people on it. Getting to Sausalito, we had a light lunch of some local Point Reyes Oysters, clam chowder (for Wife) and split an order of fish and chips with couple of glasses of sauvignon blanc.

Then we roamed town looking at art galleries. There was one that had some stuff we really liked and was even close to our price range. Then I grabbed a coffee and a Madeline (a French cookie) and was eating it while Wife was taking pictures across the Bay toward San Francisco. The combination of the Madelines and the art gallery put me into a Proust moment where I was thinking about my Mother. This gets a bit complicated but Proust wrote around 500 pages about his memories of growing up after biting into a tea dipped Madeline that served as the key to the flood of memories. For me it was the combination of art (since I had no interest in it until my Mom became a docent at an art museum and started taking me around) and the Madeline (since I had no interest in French until my Mom got me involved with a study in France program).

Dinner tonight is presumably (since Wife is very tight lipped about what will happen next) the first of a number of gastronomic events. We are going once again to Quince. I can’t wait.

1 comment:

alexis said...

I think you need to do that france trip with grandpa!!