Sunday, May 13, 2007

Weekend Interlude

I was home for Saturday before heading out on Sunday to the East Coast for a South Carolina, Atlanta, Connecticut swing and was trying to cram everything in I needed to do. This included getting in a short hike, one of my short steep ones for conditioning, doing a bunch of work, and getting ready to go including backing up the new MAC since I haven't done that yet.
Mrs. de-I continues to work like a fiend in the garden. I have to get photo taking capability because my words are not doing justice to how good it is getting. The first broccoli heads are appearing. The herb garden with the new rock looks great. She's planted all kinds of squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and even an eggplant! She has also been doing a major soil enhancement program which has been biblical in proportions. We'll see if this all leads to better produce and flowers.
I made Mrs. de-I one of her favorite meals Sat night since I was going to miss Mothers Day - Steak over the fire, baked potato, corn on the cob, good wine (Chateau Talbout, Saint Julian, 2000 from my cellar, AinA - coming along fine and looks like it has a number of years left as I have 4 more bottles). Couldn't have been nicer, we ate out on the patio enjoying the garden and the bird sounds. I had a scotch before hand and the taste gave me an A la Recherche du Temps Perdu moment (look up Marcel Proust, madeleines, and involuntary memory)(yes de_I is capable of the occasional literary reference) where memories of times with my parents flooded back.
Hope all the Mothers in my family and among my friends have a lovely day.

2 comments:

alexis said...

awww, mom didn't tell me you'd celebrated early!! So sweet of you

Pulisha said...

But the literary references must, in fact, be directly related to food in some way ;)