Monday, May 28, 2007

Long, Languid Weekend - Two

Houston we have lift off - or I should say sit down. Yes I can honestly say this has been a very relaxing weekend. I'm not saying that I haven't done work because I have. On Sunday I cleaned off my desk. One can now see at least 30% of the landmass of my desks original surface. And no pile exceeds one inch. That's pretty frickin' amazing in de-I land. Today I caught up on a lot of little things like getting billing out and doing my cash flow projection for the coming month, etc., etc. Nothing overly taxing. We have a bunch of artichokes ripe in the garden so I'm going to make a chicken artichoke pasta for dinner. Last night I marinated some very thin pork loin slices in soy, sherry, hot chile oil, garlic, ginger and brown sugar. Then I cooked them on a very hot cast iron skillet for just a minute or so a side. They came out great.

Tech breakthrough one

Took pictures using PDA, transfered them to computer and then to blog. No comments on quality. Two from the garden and one of Mrs. de-I taking a well deserved rest. I'm not sure what happened to picture two. I can't quite figure out yet how to move the pictures around.

















Tech breakthrough two


I am now I-Pod enabled. It only took 5 months and the intervention of good ole Wife to make it happen. She got it started by actually downloading music from my CD collection last week. Seeing that it was really easy enough for de-I to do I managed to load all the rest this weekend. Then played said I-Pod using my new Phillips Noise Reducing Headphones (thank you Lakeview for the idea). I am now fully ready for noise reduced flying comfort.

Tech breakthrough three

I backed up everything in the computer.

Damn Squirrels

Wife's garden has been rampaged by ravenous pack of squirrels. They come at night and eat at all the newly planted veggies. I'm sure since this is gang country they would rather be tagging the garden wall but I don't think they can get their little paws around the spray paint cans. So they console themselves with devouring the garden. Wife started by putting little cages she made around each plant but that proved to me way too much work. Then she looked into trapping them and having me carry them up into the mountains when I hiked to let them go...right. I'm going to go schlepping up the mountain with my cage of squirrels driving every dog I meet mad along the way. Then she got this spray Deer Be Gone which is based on capsicum (the hot stuff in chiles). If that doesn't work I recommend the following.

Have Gone Will Travel

In the late 50's and early 60's this was a highly rated and unusual Western genre series about a hired gun name Paladin. He was a very dark hero, always dressed in black. Each show started him in a swank San Francisco getting the request to go out to the boonies and right some wrong. He was very cool. His business card had the chess knight as its symbol and the motto, "Have Gun Will Travel". I'm thinking we send a help line to Lakeview Coffee. I can see him sitting in the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago. His business card will have a softball bat on it and the motto, "Have T-Rex will travel". For those who do not frequent Mr. LC'S blog "Hanging with Joe", he is a champion ratter, saving Chicago from the rodent plague. And he doesn't fool around with any flute either. I say bring'em down. He Joe there's plenty of good golfing here when you're not tracking down squirrels!

5 comments:

alexis said...

Congrats, so many breakthroughs this weekend! And pictures, wow.

I totally agree about the no-mercy policy on the rodents. And she works so hard for the garden! Sounds like a great weekend.

stef said...

oooo. that t-rex is nasty though. But I hear you about the squirrels. We finally have strawberries this year (after 2 years of waiting) there are so so many but i just get sad thinking about how the squirrels are going to eat them all...

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Artichokes?! Holy crap. I don't even know what an artichoke plant/tree/bush looks like! I've never heard of anyone growing artichokes in their garden. Wow. Impressive.

Tech breakthroughs like crazy! Good Lord. You know what that means right? Tech-Karma is going to catch up to you this week and blow up your computer or something.

"Have gun will travel read the card of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land."

Pulisha said...

Yay, pictures! Sorry to hear about the squirrel problem. We have raccoons, opossums (a mommy and a baby), hawks, and a ton of bird shit, but no squirrels to ruin our tomatoes.

Also, don't feel bad about the iPod, Dad. I never thought you'd get around to using it at all, so I am truly impressed that it only took five months! ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm excited about the pictures too! The garden looks terrific.