Thursday, May 24, 2007

Katchina Hills Annual Broccoli Fest

Every year around this time all the farmers of Katchina Hills gather for the celebratory harvesting of the first broccoli of the season. OK well that might be a bit of an exaggeration.
  1. Because I don't think there are any 'farmers' in Katchina Hills (our sub-division).
  2. And because those that have gardens probably don't grow broccoli
  3. But Mrs. de-I did this year for the first time which doesn't exactly qualify for "every year"
So when Mrs. announced that she was going to harvest our first broccoli (1 of 3), I said, "Hold on wait I need to be present for the historic event." As she finished cutting through the stalk, I exclaimed profoundly, "Wow it looks just like a real broccoli from a store!"

I am also happy to announce that we steamed it and it was very sweet and tasty.

4 comments:

alexis said...

Oh man... FRESH BROCCOLI... jesus. I loves me the broccoli. Especially with ketchup. Maybe I will try to grow some in a pot next year.

This is where I would ask for pictures of the garden. ;)

stef said...

Yummy! We grew broccoli last year and it was delicious. I told Mom this too, but it grew another flower after we harvested it the first time.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Alexis, you're just gross! Ketchup with broccoli. Ugh.

Congrats on the broccoli d-I! Sounds awesome.

Pulisha said...

Hee! Just like real broccoli from a real store. I always wondered where real broccoli came from ;)

Oh LVC, if only you knew. Ketchup with broccoli is actually pretty tame when it comes to AinA and her weird veggie combo obsessions!