Sunday, May 20, 2007

Is This Rude and How Would You Respond

I'm in the Red Carpet Club in Chicago's O'Hare International Airport (which you might think is actually a crash pad for me from the number of times I post from here) on my way back from O-I's to home. I have just had to move with all my stuff because right behind me...and I mean like his seat was backing up to mine...a guy was (actually still is) playing this computer game with his speakers on at if not full volume, very loud. And of course it is going over the same sound special effects over and over and over.

So I'm pissed at how incredibly rude this guy is but don't really want to lash out and just go across the room. Of course I can still hear him. AinA this is like the loud gum chewer. MR it is like the drink schlurper. I'd really like to take my laptop and whack it over his head but then I'd have to go though the whole computer replacement thing again.

So what would you do? How should I have responded?

4 comments:

alexis said...

I just had this conversation with a friend! There's no established rule on the noise people "share" from their various traveling games and other loud devices.

Personally I think it is extraordinarily rude when people do this and I probably would have said something to the guy. I doubt it would have helped, as if the person is exhibiting this behavior he/she probably isn't a conscientious person and will be insulted that you "infringe on their rights". Perhaps you could lodge a complaint with the red club folks.

stef said...

I'm with AinA on all points. It's sort of on par with people that have loud conversations on their cel phones in public places as well. But I do think in this case you could approach a person directly and ask them (nicely) to use their headphones. (Sometimes reasonable people do thoughtless things by accident) If they gave a rude response I would then take it to the club management as it is there responsibility to make sure everyone has a pleasant time in the space you are all paying to use.

Pulisha said...

I agree with MR. I like to think that people are just unaware of their rudeness (FYI- that is probably my biggest pet peeve - I can't stand noisy people in enclosed spaces!). I would politely say something along the lines of, oh you must not have noticed how incredibley loud that annoying game you have is (or something a little less inflammatory ;) If said person became rude, then I would take it up with management if I felt like making a statment, or I might just move to avoid a conflict depending on how I was feeling.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I can't imagine how loud that must have been since, like you, I'm somewhat hearing impaired. Nothing you can do with people like that though. It's not like they don't KNOW they are being loud. They know and don't care. Soooooo, unless you're ready to kick his ass, not much you can do. Possibly you could have have turned and said, "Hey dude, can you turn that down a bit? You're killing me."

And I can't stand slurpers or loud gum chewers.