Sunday, June 27, 2021

Learning To Cook The Ghana Way

 I really love the food in Ghana as you can tell from past posts. I have learned to cook a little of it but I wanted to get more recipes as Daughters 1 & 3 will be visiting this summer and have asked if I could cook something up. My young participants mostly love to cook and are happy to give me instructions on how to make 'local food' (their term). However, getting instructions from them is a little like getting instructions from your immigrant Grandmother...a little lacking in precision. Here is an example. I have highlighted the things that were written down exactly as they were given.

Making Jollof Sauce for Making Jollof Rice:

1.     Make Ghana Blend (Onion, Garlic, Ginger)

2.     Dice Onion

3.     Sautee Onion in Oil

4.     Add Tomato Paste until Caramelized

5.     Add your Ghana Blend

6.     Cook for 5 to 10 minutes

7.     Add cooked diced meat and a little water to make a thick stew consistency

8.     Add Stock Base & Hot Pepper

9.     Cover and let cook until your stew feels cooking (this is a direct quotation)

10.  Add Rice

11.  Add enough water measuring with your eyes to be sure the proportion of water is enough to cook the rice (good luck figuring this out)

12.  Cover and lower heat

13.  Check and make sure there is enough water. Stir two or three times

 

I will let you know how this turns out when I give it a try.

3 comments:

alexis said...

reads very clear to me! But I'd be a bit more leery about a baking recipe with this sort of precision

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

I am sure that an experienced cook like you can figure this out but if someone like me, who hadn't eaten the dish, followed this recipe, I'd either end up with a watery mess or a block of uncooked rice.

de-I said...

Actually RMG, I have not made it yet and am equally concerned that I am going to end up with either of those results.