Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Joys Of International Travel In The Pandemic Era

 I am again headed off to Ghana. We have a lot to do...a lot of exciting things to do if we are to get our act together for our financing search. 

Getting to Ghana requires Covid testing before you go, when you arrive and to return to the U.S. before you return. You have to show you have paid for your arrival Covid test in advance or you can't board the plane. You are supposed to input your personal health data ahead of time too for when you arrive in Ghana. For my trip in April, I had everything together the way it should have been and I sailed through with no problems.

I figured it was the same for this trip and again, I had done all that was required. I arrive at Chicago O'Hare to check into Delta for the first of my two flights to get to Ghana and I am pretty confident. But NO! There is something new. Evidently you are supposed to upload your Covid test to a site run by the African CDC and get a QR code that your test is 'official'. Only trying to get to that site and figure out exactly how to do that upload is insanely difficult. 

The powers that be had mercy on this poor Covid protocol sinner's soul. The Delta counter was deserted so the young lady manning my session spent a good 20 minutes with me figuring out where the website was and helping me navigate it on my phone until we were finally able to upload the test result and get the QR code. After which she checked me into my flight. What a lovely young woman to have such patience with me!

I still have to show this code one more time here in New York where I am changing to the final plane to Ghana. Hopefully no more problems.

3 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Oh my goodness! She really went above and beyond the call of duty! And now she will be immortalized forever on your blog...

alexis said...

if you remember her name do write in to her employer to share the appreciation

Tom P said...

Ugh- sounds stressful. Agree with Alexis- write her a note!

This is exactly why international travel is going to take a while to rebound.