Thursday, June 10, 2021

What Constitues 'Food'

I had a couple of my Ghanaian cohorts working on a presentation at my apartment and offered to serve up lunch. I had some things already cooked up - meatballs and sauteed mushrooms - so I heated them up and served them. One of the feistier of the group made a sarcastic remark (all in fun mind you) that where was the meal? I looked a bit bewildered and then I realized where I had fallen short. I had not included any carbohydrate. I was given a quick education that if you don't have a starch with the meal, it is not a meal, it is a snack. (I seem to remember this being true in Asia now that I think about it.)

When you go to a local restaurant in Ghana and ask what is on the menu, the first thing they will announce is the available Carbs. "Oh today we have fu fu, banku, kenke, yam, rice ball, jollof (a type of rice). Then you will be told the soups or sauces that are available. "Light soup, groundnut soup, okra stew, egg stew, palava sauce, etc." Lastly they will ask you what protein you want with the dish. "Goat, cow (not beef), lamb, chicken, smoked fish, tilapia, etc.

This of course is totally opposite what we do in the U.S. where if you ask what's on the menu you are told all the meats, then maybe the pastas and salads. The side carbs are secondary.

2 comments:

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

What an interesting observation! I noticed that I switched to the carb-first system when I became a vegetarian, but when I plan meals for omnivores, I instantly switch back to the meat-first way of thinking.