Sunday, June 27, 2021

A Bumpy Takeoff

 I wouldn't exactly call it the return of the Magical Unicorn Pony God of Travel but the start of my flight back to Albuquerque was not exactly what I would call seamless either.

I was picked up at my rental apartment as usual by my long-time driver. It was raining and when it rains in Accra things can grind to a halt. We are not far from the airport but after about 5 minutes of driving, his car stops...an overheating problem. But he calls another vehicle from the airport taxi firm for which he works and it gets me to the airport. (Please understand that this is Ghana so when he calls his compatriot there are about 5 phone calls with all kinds of highly emotional descriptions of where the hell we are and why the hell can't he find us. This is pretty much the way directions for everything are given and received in Ghana).

I get to the airport a little later than I would have preferred and it is crowded. All my Covid required paperwork is in order but when I go through security they see this tiny scissors I use for my eyebrows. This is a significant security risk and must be confiscated (they were actually very apologetic about it). I'd already gone through passport control but because of the 'security violation' they checked my passport again. The guy checking it says, "You like Ghana a lot?" I don't think much about the question and say "Yes." He then asks why I was coming. Ah, now I get it. So I tell him I do charitable work. That seems to mollify him. However, it is a red flag that I'd better have my story straight for the next time. There is not particular category for charitable work on their entry form. I am on a tourist visa (with 5 years!) so I hope I don't have to change that.

Finally, I am getting onboard the plane and they stop me because when I checked in they failed to ask for one of the Covid required papers. 

After than things were fine. I'm in New York now. I have three more flights and 12 hours to go!

3 comments:

Tom P said...

Hmmmm… Interesting

alexis said...

all the times you never get checked... it all comes back to even the scales at once

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Yikes! I'm always a tiny bit nervous going through passport control. Glad everything worked out.