Sunday, June 13, 2021

More Ghana Food

It might seem from my posts that all I am doing is culinary stuff this trip. Actually, the work on getting us primed to raise capital is going hot and heavy. I have just determined that I need to do some personal stuff too this trip. Two more dishes to report on.

 Kokonte with Groundnut Soup with Chicken and Smoked Catfish

The Kokonte is one of the many carbohydrate rich dishes of the region. It is made from dried cassava and is pounded until smooth.

 Groundnut Soup is flavored with a combination of tomato and peanut paste along with the usual onion, garlic and ginger


Jollof Rice is served all through West Africa and is one of those dishes that evokes passion and controversy with each family, cook, region, country claiming their's is the best.


 

Jollof, at least as made by my teacher, is a flavorful stew of tomato, meat, onion, garlic and ginger that has rice cooked it it until it becomes a rice dish.

There is a lot of mediocre Jollof served in restaurants. But this version was packed with flavor and I ate seconds. Only great will power kept me for thirds.

2 comments:

alexis said...

I will have to look up recipes for Jollof, sounds like exactly the kind of thing I love that my children detest.

de-I said...

I will be giving Jollof lessons during your stay in Albuquerque