Saturday, June 30, 2007

Yes - I am a Technology Hypocrite

The truth is that my whole attitude toward technological change is seeped in hypocrisy. Typically I will resist any change in my life that technology offers. Not only is my attitude some thing like a Luddite, but I will viscerally condemn those who do take on the new technology. A case in point was cell phones. I was totally against them and had nothing but contempt for those who allowed themselves to be enslaved by this new tool to destroy the sanctity of one's personal time....

....until I got one...

Then the conversion couldn't have been quicker or more complete than Saul's on the way to Damascus. (For those of you with limited knowledge of New Testament analogies [like that Lakeview - New Testament analogies], I've provided the convenient link). I was now the convert and totally committed to the mobile communication life.

The latest conversion has been with the i pod. I should really say musical entertainment on the airplane. For years, I've watched people listening to music and watching movies (yes, yes, disdainfully). Last Christmas, Mrs de-I and I bought each other i pods. Of course Mrs. de-I got hers up and running in no time. Mine served The Podolny Group as a nice black paperweight on my desk. Finally Mrs. de-I around April ran out of patience at the waste of money and started loading my classical music CD's on the i pod and of course the i tunes section of my computer. She also went out and bought me a set of noise reducing headphones. (FYI this is a fairly typical tale of my adoption of technology - Me ignoring it - Wife bodily making it happen for me - I love Wife)

After just a couple of trial runs, I have been in heaven. It has taken the airplane ride and transformed it from a chore to my time to listen to music. Not only to I listen, I listen intently. I shut out everyone around me, my thoughts, my obsessing with the business and just listen to the details of the music. It is very soul reviving.

So remember this the next time I torment you on some technology that you enjoy and make use of - I could just as easily become its next apostle.

3 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Great, freakin' new testament analogies. Now I have to read THAT too. Go back to the sea analogies...at least I didn't care to learn what you were trying to say with those!! :-) I feel like I should know bible references though.

stef said...

Oh Dad that is wonderful!

nonna said...

ok, i haven't been taking time to comment because i figured i would never get through the squirrel wars if i did but i just had to on this one.

you and hubby and wifey and i are very similar as far as technology goes! i have had to prod him along with the ipod nanos that we got, but now he is totally grooving out in the shop workin on his toys.

and i totally got the new testament reference! woohoo. church 3 times a week and bible camp 1 week a summer has paid off! lol which as i type sounds horrible because going to church in and of itself is the payoff but, you know what i mean :)