Saturday, June 9, 2007

Another Weekend - Another Hike

I trundled on home from LA on Friday morning. Going from the Pulisha household to Burbank airport requires going through the absolute heart of the LA metro area. It would never be the way that one would choose normally but I had made my reservations long before the coming of the Alexander J-F event. But my good (?) fortune was that I was taking a 6:45 AM flight so I had to get going really, really early. In fact at 4:45 in the morning one can absolutely wiz through the LA Freeway system, even going through the darkest heart of it.

I was totally beat Friday night. My bud, Wild Bill popped by and we shared a bit of wine but I was in bed and sleeping by 9:45. Early and significant sleep was necessary because I had another big hike planned. Today I was doing the Three Gun Spring Trail. I think I've written before about the first part of this trail before (but I couldn't find the post) so to fresh memories, this is a 4 mile trek with a climb from (according to my guide) 6,320 feet to 8,460 feet. It starts from the south side of the mountain and heads due north. The trail makes an 1,800 foot gain over the first two miles. This is very open, desert like terrain so I like to do it early in the morning before it gets too hot. The second two miles are much different with both descents and climbs through a much more moist and treed area until you come to Oso Pass which is the confluence of three trails and offers excellent views.

Now scenes from the hike

Interesting Rock Formation
The End Goal
After the big climb, getting to the top of the rock formation in the center of the picture is the goal. The trail actually goes around the base of that formation to the left before starting to climb from behind it.

The Scary Rock
You may not be able to tell from this picture but the trail goes right under that big rock which seemingly is being held in place by the smaller rock. I always hope that we don't have some sort of earth movement every time I go by it.

Great Looking Tree
This tree is actually on the other side of the scary rock. I love the way it has grown up and around the rock.

View to the East from Oso Pass
Sitting and resting after hiking to the pass this is the view to the East to the higher section of the mountain. It's hard to remember sometimes but the outskirts of the city where I live are only five miles to the west (and 2,400 feet lower) from where this picture was taken.

A View of Last Weeks Destination
This is a shot taken looking Southeast from the trail as I was going back. At the bottom of what looks like two stairs is where I took the shots last week.

Cactus Flowers
The prickly pear cacti are in full bloom so I decided to take a shot of them as well

Hope everyone else has had a great weekend.

3 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I'm waiting for the picture when all we find is your camera and there's a big black bear in the final pic.

Actually, it looks like a nice hike...if you're into that kind of thing. I don't want to hear any whining when we walk around the city!!

alexis said...

wow, the mountains are so green!!! I can't remember the last time they were so green. Looks like a great hike, makes me want to get my knee problem resolved.

Michael Podolny said...

Well Lakeview, I usually don't pack my computer when I do these hikes. You've carried my briefcase so you know what I mean. As far as bears are concerned, before Wife hurt her foot she was the faster hiker and she brought be along on the theory that I'd be slower and be caught by the bear first.

Alexis - Yes we've had way more rain this spring than normal and it is way greener.