Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Summer Reading List

I really like to read. Contrary to what one would believe reading the comments from AinA, I am not a monolithic workaholic. In fact Wife would tell you, it's about time I devoted this kind of time to work. Be that as it may, I made a major commitment that I was going to feed my reading habit this year. I got off to a good start in the winter but kind of hit a lull over the last few months. So now I've reloaded and am ready for some good readin'.

1. The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene - an Xmas gift from MotherRocker, it took me a while to get into this. Initially it kind of put me off as a faux nouveau Machiavelli. But the more I read it the more I get out of it and I love all the historical references and quotes.

2. The Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent - This is a long series of historical novels that follows the career of and English naval officer starting just before the American Revolution and going until the end of the Napoleonic Wars. I've just bought books 14-17 which pick up in 1801. This is my light reading. I've also read the entire Patrick O'Brien, Captain Jack Aubrey books twice. I'm not quite sure why I'm so enamored with this genre since I avoid the ocean like a plague.

3. Last but not least the first two books by N.A.M. Rodger of the official Naval History of Britain - Book 1 covers the years 660-1649. Book 2 goes from 1649 to 1815. Book 1 is 434 pages not including appendices, charts and lists. Book 2 is 583 pages. The appendices, charts and lists add another 183 pages. Trust me on this one - They're real page turners.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I see a bunch of very odd, very weak analogies coming my way. Ugh.

alexis said...

joe - HAHAHAHAAHAH

Michael Podolny said...

Odd maybe but WEAK! We're talking about the Royal Navy here. There's not weak here. We're talkin' about rolling out the lower gun deck and manning the braces and clawing into the wind as well as other manly analogies

stef said...

I'm glad you like the book! I thought you would...