Sunday, June 3, 2007

Channeling Mrs. de-I - The Garden Update

If Mrs. de-I was the blogging type, among the many things she would keep us all informed of would be the state of her garden. Therefore, it is incumbent upon his intimdatorness to go into a darkened room, to gather the hoard of peyote and other ritual hallucinogens found here (it is the Southwest you know), burn incense and try to reach out for the spirit of Mrs. de-I.

Looking...looking...looking...WHACK! OUCH! Guess she was taking a shower.

Anyway, the garden is coming into fine shape. As I've written previously, we are already harvesting things and enjoying its bounty. And now through my mastery of my PDA camera and IPhoto (well maybe not mastery, how about acquaintance), I will give you a pictorial view of the current events of the food production parts of the garden.

Wow this looks like broccoli just like they have in the store!
With a few more leaves. And these look like artichokes; pygmy one from the African Bush
The tomato plants are coming along great (which is more than can be said about the cucumbers which are being attached by something (evidently not squirrels but insectoid or other arthropod) or the cantalope which is just plain dead.

Pictures of nicely developing tomato plants
Finally let's take a walk down Berry Lane. Inspired by the Beatles this is our row of various types of berry plants including two types of raspberries, blackberries, red currants, gooseberries, and couple more that I can't remember.
They are all going to town. I don't remember what these are but if you can see the detail, we'll have a ton.
Finally, here's a picture of one of my favorite sections of the garden, the herb garden. For any sixties types yes there is parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme in there along with Greek oregano, Mexican oregano (two different plants entirely), sweet basil, Thai basil, marjoram, garlic chives, onion chives, and cilantro. There's rarely a day that I don't use something from the herb garden in my cooking. What a treat!

2 comments:

Xani said...

What a gorgeous garden!! I am jealous-- unfortunately I am not home enough to peoperly care for such delicate plants. Luckily my rose bushes take care of themselves, but sadly are not edible!

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Funny stuff right there! Channeling Mrs. d-I. Cool pics too! I didn't know about all of the berries. I love berries!!