Friday, February 22, 2019

Ghana Rotary Project - Accra Pictures

Well at long last I have some time to post the pictures I took last weekend in Accra

Welcome to the Manjaro Suites Hotel
Manager Linda (super lovely helpful person!)
WON'T let me take her picture (boo hoo)
But I give a thumbs up to the comfort of the room and a good value for the price

The area of town where the hotel is located is an odd combination (to my Western mind) of development and non-development. There are other more Westernized parts of town but they are way more expensive

Driving down to the hotel


Going up to my room


de-I Ghana Rotary Volunteer Project HQ



A little tour around my 'hood'
Walking down to the main drag Ring Road Central







Walking up the other direction 

Now we drive a little ways from the hotel to Nkrumah Circle which is a major transportation hub
Bizillion buses going all over Ghana and West Africa
 



Now we are heading into town toward the massive Makola Market




And into the market itself






Need a haircut?
My driver Frimpong who is looking for shoes
Guy trying to sell him shoes
(Frimpong was not happy with the quality so no purchase was made)
Lots of cloth
Ghana is proud of the quality of its cotton


And more of the market





There are not many monuments in Accra
One of the main ones is the Nkrumah Memorial



Statue of the man who led to independence
According to Frimpong it is pretty much 'de rigeur' to take pictures of you posing like the great man
Black Star Square

Jubilee House 
The Presidential Headquarters

Our snack
A sort of frozen yogurt mango flavored thing (not too sweet or dairy like actually) and a fried dough like a doughnut thing that I don't remember the name of though what's not to like about fried dough?
We ended up touring some other non-upscale parts of town just for me to get a feel for more real Accra





Not sure why the Israeli flag on this one
de-I goes native and does fu-fu(a combination of cassava flour and green plantain flour) with palm nut soup...with goat





According to the guy I was with I should not have let my hand get this messy
You are supposed to be licking them off all the time




2 comments:

Agent W said...

Your pictures capture a slice of the culture in Accra! Looks like you are having some adventures in dining also! :)

alexis said...

I am down with that food. The photos are really interesting!!