Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Arrived - Quick Status

I arrived in Accra at a little after 8 in the morning after the 17 hour journey. Accra's international terminal is not that big. We were the only international flight arriving. We all had to wait around for our bags as none of the six carousels were working. Workers had to bring them in on small luggage dollies. My hotel driver was not there but I took a taxi in without problem.

Connected with my three of my four primary contacts, unpacked in sort of a daze and then caught an hour and a half nap. Got up and went out to get some water and other things. Accra is sort of like Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia. Heard this martial sounding music and thought it might be some kind of performance but no it was just a guy on the street with big speakers. Took some pictures. Took another little nap. By now I have a couple of meetings set up.

Then I went off to my first Rotary meeting. Mix up on taxi. My morning guy said he could do driving for me. I thought I was to call him but he showed up at the same time we agreed. But I had also called an Uber and so I had two vehicles.

This club turns out it is the biggest club in Accra. They were very welcoming. It was a business meeting. Very passionate. Gave my spiel and got cards from 8 people. One of the members gave me a ride back to the hotel. I can now navigate my way there.

3 comments:

Tom P said...

Awesome stuff! Enjoy this ride!

Renee Michelle Goertzen said...

Sounds like a good start!

alexis said...

a promising beginning. O and W thought Rotary ought to be a good intro.