Friday, May 20, 2011

Is There The Jihad Equivalent for Gardening?

And landscaping for that matter.

Mrs de-I over the winter decided that the backyard did not meet her expectations. I know that I've written in the past about the fact once Wife gets the bit in her teeth she really doesn't let go. It's one of the attributes about her that I love and respect most because she simply will out work and persist just about anyone I know to reach her objective. You may remember back to 2007 when there was Squirrelhad, the holy war against the squirrels that had the temerity to attack her garden.

So this year she took classes in gardening and landscaping over the winter. This resulted in major rearrangements of plant placements and soil amendments, etc., etc. Then there are the multitude of detailed graph papers (with color coding) of how the backyard is going to be redone. (Thank you Bank of de-I for the funding). I will try to sneak a picture or two of one of the plan versions.

In the meantime she is working like freaking maniac planting this, digging out that, mulching this other thing. I'm sure I will be very, very happy later in the year as the beauty and the bounty show up.

5 comments:

terri said...

I've always admired those who have the vision and talent to create a successful and beautiful garden. I do not. The most I can manage are a few pots and hanging baskets of hardy plants and flowers.

alexis said...

mom's timing with the classes I see was no accident. How annoying we will only be there in winter and not get to see the bounty ourselves. But will look forward to photos here in the meantime!

Anonymous said...

I love living with beautiful landscaping, but I don't actually enjoy doing the landscaping. I am jealous of your good fortune, living with Aunt de-I.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the garden! I'm sure all her hard work will pay off and we will be very impressed with the pictures. Can't wait to see them! Maybe I can get some inspiration for my future garden that I hope to have one day.

Mike said...

I wish Wife the best of luck in her gardening expedition.

I can't wait to work in our yard at the new house. I'm not much of a gardener, but landscaping... that's another thing. :)