Friday, May 13, 2011

Culinary Chicago

It is always such a treat when I go to Chicago for business because my partner (in spite of his protestations) is always happy to oblige my culinary cravings. I love living in Albuquerque but the food scene there just doesn't hold a candle to Chicago.

Lakeview blogged about the place we visited, Longman and Eagle. It's really just a bar, but a bar with great food. And old style food that I really love. Thanks and hats off to Ricardo who went out of his way to set this up for my benefit. So on to the details

This my friends is the elixir of the gods - Michters #1 Pure Rye Whiskey
OMG. It is so hard to find a spirit these days where they don't add some degree of sweetening to appease the modern palette. But this, this is pure distilled, aged goodness.

LL, fiance of Lakeview, has become a real fan of Belgian raspberry lambric since there recent trip to Europe.

I have no idea what this picture was supposed to be of. Lakeview was in great spirits so it really isn't representative.
On to food! Ricardo and I ordered a bunch of small plates.

Rillettes of pork (in the glass jar).
A classic French preparation of slow cooked pork shredded so it is like a pate, spread on bread.

These were Buffalo Frogs Legs.
The legs were very, very tender. It was actually hard to pick them up because the sort of fell right off the bone.
But the real star was the white stuff to the left - a foamed spread of blue cheese.
Imagine a can of cheese spread but made of super quality blue cheese.
LL wants to market the stuff.

Roasted Marrow Bones
These are all the rage in the complete animal movement.
You take the hot marrow which should be thought of us pure animal butter, spread it over bread and sprinkle salt on it.
Great.

Pastrami Cured Sweetbreads
Another excellent preparation.
Meantime Lakeview and LL were having more traditional main courses. While Ricardo and I were being given grief about the amount we were eating LL got...

...this bacon cheese burger and fries.
It was huge.
Fortunately for her, the three of us were more than happy to be the convenient pack of jackals that ate what she couldn't finish.

Lakeview had this slow roasted pork shoulder

Back to Ricardo and I
Tete de Veau
Literally, veal head. They actually took the meat that had been stewed and formed it into a patty and then put a duck egg on it.
Yum!

And I can't even remember what this was :(

Ricardo, thanks again!

4 comments:

Mike said...

I'll be honest. Some of that sounds delicious, and some of it sounds absolutely disgusting. I don't know that I could work up the nerve to eat bone marrow on bread. Yikes.

terri said...

Ditto what Mike said.

That last dish? I think it's dish soap. Clearly you were just so delirious from all of the food you'd already eaten that you didn't even notice you were eating soap.

alexis said...

meat-a-thon! It's good to see non-traditional cuts of meat making a comeback. Man, can't wait to be in Chicago and try all this food!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure about the bone marrow either. I'd like to believe I'm fairly open minded about food, but I think I'm more of a fan of meat cuts I can find easily at the store. It looks delicious though. I think I just need to eat some of that stuff and THEN tell me what it was..