Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Weekend Hiking and Drinking

Gee I know those are two things I never write about :(

On Saturday, Wild Bill and I did our second big hike preparing for the mega South Crest Trail epic of this coming weekend. We had a scare because they are closing national forests throughout the state because of the drought and fire danger. We thought our epic was going to get closed off. But so far the Sandias have been spared a total closing.

We did a loop that I described years before but since I don't tag I can't easily find it - :(
It's a 12 mile loop with a steep first 2.5 miles that is similar to the steepness of shortcut next week. I did a much better job of eating and drinking properly the couple of days before the hike and made sure I brought plenty of food and water. Even though we paced ourselves we ended up doing the distance in a very good time. I was particularly impressed that after we took our sandwich and rest break that our recuperation was quite noticeable. Note to self - make sure you take those rests during the hike next week.

I also made sure that I iced both my calves and the backs of my thighs when I got back. Bill has advised me on this before but I didn't do it the week before. What a huge difference in how I felt the next day.

I had no plans for Sunday but talked to Gaius Derf on the phone and found out that Agent W was out of town for over a week. So I said if he wanted to have some wine to stop over but I wasn't planning on cooking or anything. He did come over and I asked him to bring over his popcorn pot. Derf makes the best popcorn I've ever had and it is a rare treat for Wife and I. We had two pots of popcorn with bottles of California Viogner and a California Provence style Rose. We ended up deciding we needed something to eat after all and I whipped up some shrimp on angel hair pasta.

I sent Derf packing pretty early because I needed wake up at 4 AM to catch a 6 AM flight to LA.

6 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

Yeah, when you can't take ibuprofen, you need to ice!! Hell, I often ice even WITH ibuprofen.

alexis said...

sounds like a great weekend! What is it that makes the popcorn so good?

Anonymous said...

popcorn!!! Yes what does make it so good and different from other popcorn?

terri said...

Good popcorn is an art. You just can't get it in those microwave bags.

de-I said...

Derf has the whole pop corn thing down to a science. 1/3rd cup of white popcorn (has to be white) in a 2 1/2 quart pan. Small amount of oil. Turn heat up to about 3/4. Don't preheat. When the popcorn starts popping, don't shake the pan! When the popping just comes to a stop, pour out immediately. At least that's what Derf does.

Mike said...

I'm out of breath just from reading about your hike.

Good popcorn is awesome. There is a significant difference between "popcorn" and "good popcorn!"