Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weekend Round-up

Hike, Cook, Work

Pretty much the definition of the weekend.

Wild Bill and I are gearing up for a reprise of the epic South Crest Trail Hike on Memorial Day weekend. We have done this twice before in 2006 and 2008. The trail is 17 miles long and 4000 feet in climb though we have taken a steep short cut in years past that cuts off 3 miles. So far this year we've only done relatively shorter hikes and haven't gone that high so we needed to step up our training. So on Saturday we did the Pino trail which is 9 miles or about 50% longer than what we've been doing. We were both sucking wind. Naps in the afternoon were required.

Cooking was also done. We had Cabinet Lady and Dr. Debbie over for dinner...always a fun time. Wife did the bartender service making Kamikazes for the ladies and a Gimlet for me. I planned to take pictures but as usual I got too wrapped up in the cooking and entertaining. In short, I made a a special meat sauce for pasta the day before. This consists of a wide selection of meats cooked in tomatoes, onions, carrots and celery, herbs and spices. When the meat is done, you take if off the bone, blend the sauce and add the meat back in. I also roasted some veggies over the fire and marinated them overnight in fresh garlic chopped with salt, pepper and olive oil.

On Saturday, served the veggies with sprinkling of vinegar which resulted in a light vinegar flavor than if I had used vinegar in the marinade. I made home made and hand cut pasta for the sauce. And Wife did some fabulous hand made chocolate truffles sprinkled with sea salt for dessert. Wine of course and 10 year old Madeira with the truffles. Way good.

Sunday was a work day but fortunately a relatively mellow one.

3 comments:

alexis said...

Shoot shoot - was recently introduced to another gimlet drink you would like. Will need to look it up.

Anonymous said...

I don't believe it can get much better than hiking and eating!

Mike said...

17 miles?? That blows my mind. I seem to have some catching up to do in the fitness department.