Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wild Day


The other weekend I spent the whole day pretty much with the Wild Family. That would be hiking buddy Wild Bill and his Wife, Wild Jill. Jill enjoys cooking as much as I do and is no shrinking violet. So we actually do well in the kitchen together.

I had set up a date with Jill for us to cook together. But first in the morning Bill and I went for hike up a trail that we normally don't do.



After showering and a little rest, Wife dropped me off at the Wild Home. Wild Jill and I did a bunch of research and came up with a menu.


Then we headed off to Whole Foods. Of course when we got there we didn't like what we found (we had been thinking fish) and ended up buying chicken and mushrooms and going in an entirely different direction.

I spent a lot of the time when we weren't cooking and drinking trying to get shot of Jill where you could see her face but she wasn't very cooperative.

The main course was a roast chicken that had been flavored with a special butter. Jill did the chicken and I did the flavor butter. The flavor butter was red wine, pancetta (Italian salt cured bacon), and thyme. It was supposed to replicate the flavors of coq au vin. I cooked all those down until they became like a syrup then drained the solids out. We mixed that into softened butter. Jill then put the butter under the skin of the chicken, in the cavity, and on the chicken.

Hah! an unguarded moment when she took out the chicken from the oven.




The chicken came out extremely moist and flavorful

4 comments:

Mike said...

I love roast chicken. Sounds delicious!

Some of your pictures aren't showing up. :(

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... chicken! Mike doesn't like fish, so I don't eat it very often unless we go out somewhere and it's on the menu. I love salmon.
I better go make something now. I'm hungry.

terri said...

I wish I had your talent for creating new flavors for use with standard foods. The chicken sounds delicious!

alexis said...

boo - looks like the last three photos got bugged. But yes, roast chicken is a pretty awesome thing.