Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Travel of a Different Kind

Normally my travel involves some sort of airline endeavor going to one major metropolis or another . This week however, I am doing something completely different...the long drive into no where. Well maybe not no where but way off the beaten path.

If you will go to Google Maps and look at the southeastern corner of New Mexico you will find the towns of Roswell, Artesia, Carlsbad, and Hobbs. This area sort of by itself has around 250 thousand in total population. And more importantly it has LOTS of oil and ergo lots of oil money funneling into its economy.

Hence we have lots of businesses that are doing very well. They also have a real shortage of business knowledge so it is fertile ground for consultants like moi. The only problem is that is is a long drive and driving is the only practical way of getting there. It's 271 miles from Albuquerque to Carlsbad where I am tonight. That's a good 4.5 hour drive. And unlike the airplane, I can't do anything productive.

But I think there could be real good opportunities for us in the future here.

7 comments:

alexis said...

what about audio books?

Anonymous said...

That's what I was thinking - audio books. Or maybe some driving meditation? Does that exist?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

I agree, that area can be fertile ground. It's tough when you have to drive...nothing productive can get done.

Mike said...

That's quite a trip! Hope it pays off for you. Good luck!

terri said...

Turn up the radio and SING!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the business!! I'm with Terri...on road trips I always have to have some good tunes.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Don't pick up the hitchhikers!