Thursday, May 28, 2009

Takin' A Break

Wife and I are heading out tomorrow for a short trip to Lake Tahoe where our friends Steve and Lady Di have a timeshare. We haven't seen them in over a year and we always have a great time. We've heard that Di has been planning her menu for weeks. She also emailed me that she is planning a 'survivor' level hike. This is a good thing?

On other notes our weather has been a bit weird this spring. Normally at this time of year it is very, very dry and hot. But it has been cool with afternoon showers - almost like when the monsoon hits.

My new grill is taking a lot of getting used to including using the charcoal chimney to get things started. But in general I'm please with the results.

Yesterday was a demonstration to me that I still have a long way to go in my spiritual development. I've been working on this very difficult work out of a native american owned company. Short story is years and years of mismanagement with the Tribal Council having refused numerous times to face the facts of the problems. The current Board of Directors - three of us - were basically sold a bill of goods and not given all the information we should have about how bad things were. The economic crisis this fall and winter was the last straw. We started in January telling the Council the company was insolvent. This has now dragged on for almost 5 months. We managed to find a way to bailout the Pueblo by leasing out most of our assets. But there are a couple of people on the council who were ex-employees who essentially were interested in getting revenge by totally disrupting anything we recommended. So we had the meeting hoping to get approval. Instead we endured 3 hours of people essentially telling us we were incompetent, that we were self-dealing, that we didn't have the Pueblo's interest at heart. Now understand, we were offering a way to bail out a company that has lost millions over the last three years and give them $3 million of positive cash flow, keep employment, and without them having to fund it. I kept my mouth shut for most of the 3 hours but finally just tore into our prime torementor. I shouldn't have let him get to me. It certainly didn't do any good.

Net result by the way? They turned down our proposal and have decided to shut down the company with a probable $4 million capital infusion necessary to clean everything up. Go figure.

8 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Enjoy your little vacation. As for the Pueblo business, I hope you don't have any money invested.

terri said...

It sounds like this is a much, much needed break. I hope it is truly relaxing and enjoyable.

As for being far from where you want to be in your spiritual development, I hardly think that your actions in the meeting are an indicator. From the sounds of it, anyone put in your position would resort to the same reaction. So maybe you're not proud of your actions. You're human. We humans fail. A lot. The true test is whether or not you let the failure win. I don't think you will.

alexis said...

I don't understand how they didn't understand, there must have been some soft (read: non-business related) issues that were also at risk. People do not think logically in investing or business, that is for sure.

de-I said...

WM - No, I don't invest in any ventures other than my own business these days.

Alexis - Spot on. A lot of 'old' grudges and issues were at play.

Terri - Well said. A lot gets revealed to me during meditation concerning the status of my evolution...often in the form of words from my spiritual teacher. This morning the words were 'not to be concerned - just showing you that you still have work to do."

stef said...

Oh Dad, that must have been difficult when you have invested so much time and energy in that project. And it has at times looked like you could make it work. I just agree with all the other wise comments here.

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

People are doofuses. Irrational thinking really bugs me. You're certainly better at controlling yourself than I am. Something like that could have led to another massacre if I were there! :-)

Bernice said...

Have a great vacation. I'm waiting for pictures.

tim said...

You should have been proud to keep your mouth shut as long as you did...that has to count for something...

enjoy tahoe..