Saturday, May 16, 2009

Food Find

As I frequently write, dining in Albuquerque is not usually a rewarding experience. Nothing like my trips to Chicago or Southern California. But every once in a while we get something really good. We are awash in New Mexican style cooking which is variant of Tex-Mex. So a new restaurant of that variety wouldn't be cause for celebration. However our local paper recently wrote a review on a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place called Lupes and extolled it's 'real' Mexican menu. I had to give it a try.
I dragged my partner Ken down on Friday. The review had given me some clues as to what to order. There were lots of things you don't see in your typical American Mexican restaurant. I had a Molcajete. This is named after a Mexican cooking vessel - a rough basalt rock mortar used for grinding things. In this case they actually heated it up and served food in it like a super fajitas.

The version I had featured lots of nopales (cactus leaves, used a lot in Mexican cooking - kind of like a green bell pepper without the bitterness), grilled chicken and beef, and a big hunk of Mexican cheese.
Molcajete Azteca

De-I devouring Molcajete Azteca

It was scrumptious. My friend had barbacoa, a stewed lamb that is then crisped up. There was also a soup with chickpeas with that. He raved about both.

I will definitely be bringing more folks around here. A great find...though not necessarily the place you want to come for dinner after dark.

The parking lot
Short Stuff:

AinA - I am almost 50% done with the speculas!

7 comments:

Mike said...

I LOVE Mexican food. (Or at least what we, as St. Louisans, refer to as Mexican food.) I'm glad you found that place. I have to say, though, I've never had my food served on something resmbling volcanic rock. I've also never eaten a cactus leaf. Guess I need to update my to-do list.

terri said...

I probably wouldn't recognize authentic Mexican food. I am way too far north for that. Everything here is Mexican-American. Glad you enjoyed this new place!

Anonymous said...

Holy Frijoles!! :-) That looks like a lot of food. Cactus leaves...awesome. I want to try something with cactus leaves in it. Maybe at the next Podolny-Palooza??

Love the parking lot shot too. Ha!! The ghetto of Albuquerque. Who knew?
LCJ

Anonymous said...

Haha..that's some nice wire on the top of that wall there. Kind of like driving through parts of St. Louis and seeing windows barred on chain places like an AutoZone. Always makes one feel safe....

I would love to try some REAL mexican food, although I agree with Mike- I love Mexican(American) food.

Anonymous said...

What a great find! It's great that you can have a change from all the New Mexican style food. (Although I miss it SO much...)

Unknown said...

Hey! Nice picture of you enjoying
that great dish! it is rare that you get in the picture!!! You'd never know that this is a great food place judging by the parking lot!!!! We must try this place!

G. Derf & Agent W

Pulisha said...

*sigh* I so miss the food (oh, and you guys too, lol). You must bring some NM chile powder when you come to visit!