Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Wine Jackpot

It is not a revelation to you faithful readers that I like wine. For better or for worse my budget allows for far less than my dreams when it comes to consumption. However, on occasion Bacchus smiles upon me.

I was in Connecticut visit dear old Dad (Sweet Old Bill - or SOB as he is sometimes called) the Original Intimdator. His very good friend LeRoy joined us to go out to dinner. O-I shifts between castigating you for the slightest hint of gluttony to being incredibly generous when it comes to eating and drinking.

So we started our evening by him saying he had a some bottles that he had to have drunk because they were really getting pretty long in the tooth. So he pulls out the bottle below.
As you can see this is nearly a 40 year old Bordeaux. Today a wine of this classification from a good vintage would cost in the many hundreds of dollars or more. I'm sure when O-I bought it is was under $50. It turned out to be quite drinkable if a bit past its prime. It was very nice to try it anyway.

When we had dinner we ended up with drinking two more bottles of Italian wines - a Barbera d'Alba 2003 and an Amarone de Valpolaccella 2000 - both really good. That was a hell of a lot of wine. I didn't get too much done for dear old Dad the following day.

4 comments:

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

No Joe. No Ricardo. Just de-I getting hammered and practicing gluttony. Case closed!

alexis said...

wow - SO jealous. :)

stef said...

Wowee. Would have loved to taste it anyway..

Anonymous said...

I don't drink anything I can't pronounce. :-/