Monday, February 9, 2009

Spanish Cooking

I went for my winter training hike this weekend with Wild Bill and while we were in the heights I had the inspiration to invite he and wife (Wild Jill?????) over for an impromptu dinner. I had already put my mind on making Paella so I augmented that with a couple of Spanish appetizers - Tortilla, an egg and potato omelet and shrimp in garlic sauce

Prepping

Sauteing potatoes and onions for Tortilla

Fortifying canned chicken broth with bones, onions and saffron for Paella

Chicken cut up for Paella


Eggs for the Tortilla

Rice and lemons for Paella (tomatoes are just hangin around for the hell of it)

Shrimp marinating in garlic, sherry, and pimenton (Spanish smoked paprika)
Preparing

Sauteing chicken in Paella pan

Making flavor base with onions, garlic, roasted peppers and chorizo sausage


Cooking the Tortilla (the cooked potatoes and onions are mixed in the eggs then put in the pan)

Paella with rice, chicken and stock added

Tortilla flipped over

Serving

Tortilla and Garlic Shrimp First Course

Finished Paella

Wild Jill brought this totally phenomenal homemade cherry pie (my favorite and she didn't even know it!)

9 comments:

stef said...

Looks yummy! But was there any other meat in the paella other than chicken?

Michael Podolny said...

Just the chorizo - I was just throwing this together with what I had on hand.

terri said...

When is it you're coming to the Minneapolis area for your ....ummmm... annual Minneapolis area hike? Remember? You promised to stop over and cook up an impromptu delicious signature De-I dinner. Just let me know. I'll get it on the calendar so we'll be sure to keep the weekend open.

Michael Podolny said...

Ah yes Terri - hiking the mountains of Minneapolis - always the hit of the summer.

I will come but it has to be a secret.

Bernice said...

Did you cook the shrimp? How?
I wish I could cook such a meal impromptu.

Michael Podolny said...

Bernice - yes the shrimp is very quickly sauteed.

WeaselMomma said...

That appetizer looks like a meal all by itself!

Anonymous said...

Dude... this is the kind of cook book I need! Lots of pictures! I might actually be able to follow a recipe then!

As a side note, based on what I've read from your blogs since I've been a loyal fan, I've gathered that food seems to taste better when it's hard to pronounce. Would that be an accurate conclusion?

Michael Podolny said...

Mike - I'm actually going to give a cooking class to the wife of Gaius Derf (Agent W) this summer. Feel free to attend!

And of course - even if you're making hamburgers doesn't biftek hachee sound so much more classy?