Friday, February 20, 2009

In the Netherlands

After taking about a 3 hour nap, Wife and I went for a walk. AinA lives very centrally in downtown Amsterdam so it is pretty easy hike to the main 'tourist' sections of the city. We walked to where we stayed the last time we visited her. On the way we had our first Ollebollen - a round Dutch doughnut sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Two visions of travel:

de-I - "Isn't great. There was practically nobody on the plane. There are virtually no tourists now. Much better than the summer.


Mrs de-I - "It's @&%! cold and wet. If you think we're ever coming here in February again you're going to be a castriotti."

We were out for about 3 and half hours. On the way we stopped at a cafe for a beer and some soup (yes, MR a side of fries was necessary - fries in the Netherlands are great). When we got back to the apartment we found we were tired still and had another nap. Daughter AinA was working late but she and boyfriend got here around 7:30 PM.

She wanted to cook so we walked to the local supermarket. She made for us a Dutch specialty called Stampot which is potatoes and greens mashed together served with meat on the side in this case some smoked sausages. The fat from the meat is used to flavor the stampot. Very Germanic hearty fair and very good. Being a really sweet girl she opened up for us a bottle of 1997 Sait Julien which we a enjoyed with some fabulous cheese.

Boyfriend and Wife enjoying wine while AinA does her Dutch cooking thing

"Hey, I know what the hell you're going to do with that - you damn blogger you"

7 comments:

WeaselMomma said...

Keep having a great time and keep the Mrs. Warm.

stef said...

Wow. I just realized AinA never really out up pictures of her new place like she did her old one. The stampot looks yummy. Maybe this is something I can do? Where to find the best recipe?

Lakeview Coffee Joe said...

That's what I thought stef!! Nice pics of the apartment! The kitchen is bigger than I envisioned.

When you leave sunshine and 60 for overcast and 40, I can see the issues Glo has.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the kitchen is really nice. Can you post some more pictures of the apartment, since we can't depend on AinA?

terri said...

How do you all stay in such good shape? I swear, I absorb calories just reading about the fabulous dishes you enjoy. (Of course, I need them since I seem to have trouble being bothered to eat at home.)

Anonymous said...

i too want to see more pics of the apartment. i love the architecture that i can see so far. food sounds yummy 'cept for the whole 'greens' part. sounds a lot like a vege. you can't fool me!

have fun and plleease take pics of amsterdam bldgs. probably be the only way i get to see it :)

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!! I love the differences in opinion on travel. And I guess I'm going to have to broaden my horizons as far as food is concerned. If it's not spaghetti, toast, or something microwavable, it's probably not going to be prepared by me as it currently stands.